Volleyball looks to knock off former national champs

Stanford missed first four games of season due to COVID-19 complications

Then-freshman+outside+hitter+Alexcis+Lusby%2C+middle%2C+blocks+the+ball+from+Husky+sophomore+outside+hitter+Shannon+Crenshaw+during+the+game+on+Sept.+25%2C+2019+at+Bohler+Gym.+

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-freshman outside hitter Alexcis Lusby, middle, blocks the ball from Husky sophomore outside hitter Shannon Crenshaw during the game on Sept. 25, 2019 at Bohler Gym.

KAT MCKINNEY-ROLEY, Evergreen reporter

This week the WSU volleyball team will travel to the state of California to take on the Cardinal of Stanford University in another end-of-the-week doubleheader.

“We got a great sweep at home, and we’re ready to continue to compete down at Stanford,” head coach Jen Greeny said.

WSU (6-2) is coming into these matches ranked at No. 17 in the nation according to the AVCA Coaches’ Poll. Stanford (1-3) is also coming in at No. 23 according to the same poll.

WSU is coming off of a sweep of Colorado, while Stanford has three losses and one win, with most of their matches being canceled.

“They’ve graduated some great players … they’ve had a rough time being able to get in the gym and practice because of COVID,” Greeny said.

In their last two matches, the Cougs fired both offensively and defensively. Two WSU players, freshman Julianna Dalton and redshirt sophomore Hannah Pukis, put up doubles against the Colorado Buffaloes last week and hope to do the same against Stanford, Greeny said.

“We expect great things from them, they are well trained, really great athletes, and it will be a great match,” Greeny said.

Stanford has historically been a great team and has seen several appearances in the NCAA tournament, along with winning it nine times, the most in NCAA history. Stanford’s most recent tournament win was in 2019, also winning the year before in 2018.

The first match will take place at 2:00 p.m. Friday and the second and 1:00 p.m. Sunday. Both matches can be watched through Stanford’s live stream.