Cougars roll at Husky Classic

Siblings Peyton, Cody Teevens both participated in multiple events

Then-redshirt sophomore sprinter Tierney Silliman (left) and then-sophomore sprinter Jordyn Tucker race neck and neck down the track during their 60-meter dash heat Jan. 19, 2019 at the Indoor Practice Facility.

DANIEL SHURR, Evergreen reporter

The WSU track and field team ended their indoor regular season at Dempsey Indoor in Seattle this weekend, where they hosted a variety of competitions in the Husky Classic, hosted by the Washington Huskies.

The Cougars were led by a surprising face, freshman Peyton Teevens, who is listed on the team as a “multi,” ran in her first-ever pentathlon.

In her pentathlon debut, Teevens participated in the 60-meter hurdles, running a time of 9.26 seconds, high jump, leaping 1.63 meters, shot put, recording a distance of 10.4 meters, long jump, jumping 4.52 meters, and the 800m race, clocking in at 2:18.54.

Teevens set personal records in all five of the events that she participated in on Friday and tallied a total of 3,459 total points in the pentathlon. That is the tenth-most points that an athlete has recorded in WSU history in the pentathlon event.

Sophomore multi and Peyton Teevens’s brother, Cody Teevens, participated in the heptathlon on behalf of the men and recorded 4,699 points for WSU.

Sophomore Cody Teevens finished second overall in the men’s heptathlon on Saturday.

He set personal records in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.24 seconds, long jump at 6.34 meters, shot put, with a distance of 9.51 meters, pole vault, with a height of 3.6 meters, and the 1000m race clocking in at 2:47.86. He also participated in the high jump event to cap off his heptathlon.

Outside of the “multi-verse,” junior Aislinn Overby took first place in the high jump event, jumping 1.74 meters. Junior Suzy Pace was right behind her in second, while sophomore Kaylee Sowle took third.

Senior Mitch Jacobson took first place on men’s high jump with a height of 2.07 meters, while sophomore Daylon Hicks closely followed at 1.97 m.

Junior Anna Rodgers won the women’s long jump event at 5.8 meters, and sophomore Jasneet Nijjar set a personal record in the event at 5.25 meters.

Junior Joseph Heitman took first place in the men’s long jump, jumping 6.67 meters.

Freshman Audrey Hughes and senior Lovely Tukuafu took second and third place in the women’s shot put. Both of them set personal records in the event as well.

To finish out the day on Friday, freshman Sasha Korolenko claimed the second-place spot in the women’s weight throw, throwing a distance of 15.97 meters.

Saturday rolled around, and the Cougars continued to find success.

The men’s distance medley team ran a time of 9:36.49. With that time, the squad’s chances of qualifying for nationals drastically increase.

Sophomore Elise Unruh-Thomas set a personal record in the women’s 60m dash, running 7.67 seconds en-route to a first-place finish.

Junior Mackenzie Fletcher won silver in the women’s 60-meter hurdles, with Nijjar and Peyton Teevens coming in directly behind her.

Freshman Adrian Thomas claimed third place in the men’s 60m hurdles with a time of 8.44.

Sophomore Blake Deringer ran the men’s 60m in 6.99 seconds claiming third place.

The three men who ran the 200m all set personal records. Deringer ran it in 22 seconds flat, while freshmen De’Antae Choates and Thomas finished less than a second behind him.

Unruh-Thomas set a personal record in the women’s 400m race with a time of 56.8, while Sophomore Elena Willems also set a personal best at 59.61.

Freshman Cooper Cortinas finished the day for WSU, running a personal best 4:18.98 in the mile.

This was the final regular-season meet for the WSU indoor track and field team, and next up will be the NCAA Indoor Championships held in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

There is no official word as to who on the team will be making the trip; however, the chances are good that a plane full of Cougs will arrive at the meet on March 11.