Springing on stage: 2 Chainz and Jimmy Tatro

Last year’s Springfest musician Snoop Dogg performs, April 26, 2014.

Springfest is right around the corner, and with it comes rapper 2 Chainz and standup comedian Jimmy Tatro.

Put on by the Student Entertainment Board (SEB), the annual event begins Friday, April 24, and comes to a close Saturday night in Beasley Coliseum.

Normally a one-day event, SEB decided to tweak the format this year as a way to offer students even more to experience, SEB Speakers Programmer Molly Hughes said.

“The SEB students are constantly working to improve the programs, and they wanted to include comedy as an element this year,” said Angel Nava, the art coordinator for Student Involvement and Leadership.

Hughes said in the past Springfest has been so big with just the concert alone, so they wanted to make it even better for students this year.

Springfest will kick off at 7 p.m. on April 24 in Beasley Coliseum with a standup comedy set by Jimmy Tatro, who originally gained fame with his YouTube series “Life According to Jimmy,” and recently appeared as an actor in “Grown Ups 2” and “22 Jump Street.”

Tatro does a lot of sketches that poke fun at college stereotypes, Hughes said, and many students can probably relate to the weird and awkward situations he portrays.

“We’re really excited. This is our first year doing a comedy show for Springfest, and we wanted to get (Tatro) when he’s up-and-coming,” Hughes said.

Michael Ehde, the SEB special events programmer, said the new comedy act was also a way to include students who aren’t into the usual hip-hop concert put on during Springfest.

Tickets to the show cost $7 for WSU students and $15 for the general public and can be purchased at the Cougar Card Center, Beasley Coliseum or online at Ticketswest.com.

Springfest will come to a close when rapper 2 Chainz takes the stage at 8 p.m. on April 25 in Beasley Coliseum.

SEB hosted a survey earlier in the school year asking students who they wanted to see perform at WSU for the event, and 2 Chainz was one of the most popular choices, Ehde said.

The rapper has had a stellar year so far, Ehde said, including debating Nancy Grace on her show, releasing a mixtape and prepping a new album.

“Students here really like hip-hop,” he said, “and everywhere I go I hear 2 Chainz.”

Ticket prices for the concert range from $25 – $35 and can be purchased at Beasley Coliseum, Ticketswest.com and at SEB tables set up around WSU.

Springfest attracts students from all over the area, including those enrolled at the University of Idaho and Gonzaga University, and even residents from the west side of the state travel to WSU for the weekend, Ehde said.

“We do events all year, but this one is different,” Hughes said. “It’s for the students, by the students, and we want to have a great end-of-the-year party for them, and this is a great way to do it.”