The final vote, S&A committee decides allocations

The Student Services and Activities (S&A) committee officially decided organization funds distribution for the 2015-2016 summer and academic periods Monday night.

The S&A committee voted to not approve University Recreation’s (UREC) proposal for funds to assist a multimillion-dollar Rogers-Orton Field renovation. The request was made by UREC will soon no longer be able to use Martin Stadium for programs. The renovation would be an effort to continue operations that were regularly held in Martin Stadium.

The S&A committee advised UREC to attempt a partnership with Athletics for funding Rogers-Orton’s renovation and transitional use of Martin Stadium until UREC has a proper replacement playfield.

The committee allotted UREC a $1,294,846 base request to continue operations and was granted their $33,000 request for a new vehicle.

WSU Athletics saw a $250,000 decrease in S&A funds this year with an $838,000 allocation. The committee officially noted an agreement between the two groups that Athletics would reduce their reliance on S&A funding.

Funds for LandEscapes, Performing Arts, KUGR, Allegro and Cable 8 were relocated from ASWSU-Senate to the ASWSU-Programming, as programming more appropriately encompasses those organizations.

The WSU Marching Band’s $114,000 request for new uniforms was approved by the committee. Band members noted their current uniforms’ poor conditions and the fact that the University of Washington has upgraded their uniforms twice since WSU bought its current product.

Student Media was approved for $36,780 for a new firewall on its computer system and a piece of its request for new cameras to assist in photographer training.

Joan King, Associate Vice President and Chief University Budget Officer, said the budget issue last week was caused by an overly complicated records system. The issue has been pinpointed and resolved.

Reporting by Fletcher Bailey