‘Girl Rising’ empowers women

By Devin Trubey Evergreen reporter

At WSU, many students receive an education because no one ever told them they couldn’t have one.

However, for some people, especially women, education is not as easily accessed. For this reason the International Center thought it important to show “Girl Rising” Oct. 22 at 7 p.m. in the CUB Auditorium

Global Washington, a group dedicated to growing the global development sector, purchased the film and are showing it on several campuses to raise awareness, said Katherine Hellmann, associate director of the Office of International Programs.

“We were actually approached by Global Washington to show the film. If you haven’t seen it, it is very empowering,” she said. “It showcases what I think is the crossroad of diversity/multi-cultural education and internationalization.”

The film follows nine girls from nine different countries on their quest to receive education. It is directed by Academy Award nominee Richard Robbins, with nine different authors and nine prominent actresses as narrators.

“The narrative of the story from the perspective of Americans is eye opening. We are all getting an education and we didn’t have to fight for it,” said Hellmann. “It’s a great message that education can’t be taken away from you once you have it, it is the one thing that cannot be taken away.”

The International Center believes the message of the film is so important that it will be shown for free to university students and members of the community.

“The film was actually shown in Idaho, and it was so popular that they had to turn people away. We are very happy to give the community another chance to see it,” she said.

Department of History Instructor Kenneth Faunce agrees that this is an important issue, and is even offering credit to his Roots 105 students if they attend.

“People need to understand, not only in developing countries, but in the U.S as well, that women’s education is important,” Faunce said. “We even see it in the U.S that when you educate girls, things change.”

A discussion panel will be held after the movie featuring prominent members in the community: Rachida Labbas, a Fulbright student from Algeria; Emilie McLarnan, assistant director for Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse; Bonnie Benjamin-Phariss, who works in documentary films for Paul G. Allen’s Vulcan Production; Therese Norris, president of Women’s Enterprise International; Nikki Finnestead, violence prevention coordinator at WSU; and Turea Erwin of the Women’s Resource Center at WSU.

“We invited these people specifically,” said Hellmann. “We wanted to let the audience know of the resources available specifically with regard to women.”