The Grove prepares to open doors for students

Construction at The Grove apartments continues three months after the fire which engulfed the complex in July.

While construction is near completion, students are preparing to move in.

Jason Chudoba, a spokesman for Campus Crest Communities, the housing company that built and operates The Grove, said there will be approximately 280 students living in the Pullman property by the end of the fall semester.

Eighty students will move into their finished apartments on Oct. 15.

After the fire, officials at Campus Crest had to work quickly to find displaced residents alternative housing arrangements close to WSU. Students lived in Rogers while they waited for their apartments to be rebuilt.

“We worked diligently to ensure a portion of the property was open in time for the start of the academic year,” Chudoba said.

Officials at Campus Crest now have a construction team working to complete additional sections of the property so everything will be finished when students move in. While the construction was done quickly, some students had concerns about shoddy workmanship.

Sophomore nursing major Katie Storch said she was concerned the construction company wouldn’t pay that much attention to detail, but that there were only some minor problems that can be easily fixed.

Chudoba said they see the safety and wellbeing of their residents as a top priority.

“The construction materials we use are top-grade, and our properties are built to strict code requirements and must pass numerous rigorous inspections before opening,” Chudoba said.

Sophomore sports management major Travon Hennings said she thinks The Grove has done well in accommodating to the students as much as they can.

Once The Grove is completely finished, it will include an amenity package that includes a swimming pool, volleyball court, fitness center, and a game room.

The Grove also has a residence program called ‘SCORES,’ which stands for Social, Cultural, Outreach, Recreational, Educational, and Sustainability. The Grove tries to incorporate the ‘SCORES’ elements into student life. 

“Our goal is to keep residents engaged and happy while providing them with valuable skills that will help them throughout life,” Chudoba said.