Cougs run into record books

Sam Brixey holds the sixth-fastest 60-meter time in country

ZACH RUBIO | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-sophomore Mitch Jacobson attempts to clear a jump during a meet April 27, 2019 at Mooberry Track.

KAT MCKINNEY-ROLEY, Evergreen reporter

The Cougs had another great outing on the track this last weekend. Both the women’s and men’s track teams finished with several top-10 placings. 

The Cougs hosted the WSU Invitational and WSU Open at the Podium in Spokane. 

“It was exciting to be able to host again at the Podium and these meets did not disappoint as there were several amazing performances,” head coach Wayne Phipps said. “The Podium is a world-class facility which, in conjunction with our partnership with Spokane sports, will be a game-changer for our program for years to come.”

At the WSU Invitational, Sam Brixey once again had a great weekend, finishing first with a new personal record in the 60-meter dash. Brixey has a new time of 7.70 seconds which is the second-fastest time in Cougar history and 0.01 seconds behind the 1975 school record. With this time, Brixey now holds the sixth-fastest time in the nation.

“The highlight of the meet was Sam Brixey in the 60m hurdles. He broke the facility record, missed the WSU school record by .01, and ran the sixth-fastest time in the nation,” Phipps said.

Sophomore runner Jared McAlvey placed second in the 400-meter dash with a new personal best of 47.99 seconds. 

Senior Jacob Englar found himself in an exciting jump-off for the men’s pole-vaulting event. Englar ended up placing second with a jump of 5.19 meters.

Graduate Mitch Jacobson had another solid finish in the high jump for the fourth straight meet. Jacobson finished in second place with a mark of 2.11 meters. 

Moving on to the women’s competition, Cougs dominated the track once again. Pullman High School graduate Peyton Teevens competed in the women’s pentathlon. She placed eighth overall and scored 3,475 points, setting a new personal record and a new WSU top-10 mark. With her performance, Teenvens moves into ninth overall in the WSU history books. 

Alexandra Payne competed in the weight throw, placing sixth with a mark of 17.41 meters. Payne now holds the ninth-best throw in WSU history. This throw was also her personal record. 

Micaela De Mello placed third in the women’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.36 seconds. She recorded the sixth-fastest time in Cougar history and a personal record with the third-place finish. 

At the WSU Open, senior Marty Munyon also had another great performance with a new personal record in the men’s weight throw. His mark of 16.26 meters gave him a ninth-place finish. He was the only Coug to compete at the event. 

You can learn more by going to the WSU Athletics website for the complete score sets and placings. 

The Cougs are heading into another split weekend. Parts of the team are back to Albuquerque, New Mexico, to compete in the Don Kirby Elite Invitational, while others are heading back to Seattle to compete in the Husky Classic. Another squad of Cougs will be staying in Spokane to compete in the Whitworth Invitational at the Podium.