Student Entertainment Board looking forward to next concert

Alexander 23 performing Tuesday; concerts take about two months to plan

JOSIAH PIKE, Evergreen news co-editor

The Student Entertainment Board is preparing for their upcoming concert featuring Alexander 23 on Tuesday.

Director of Concerts Sierra Horon helps choose the artists and works with them to figure out logistics. Overall, she said the entire process from finding an artist and then the actual concert takes up to two months. 

“My boss tells us to plan events we’d also want to go to and be excited about as students,” Horon said. 

Horon said she has about four meetings a week with the committee she heads, and that there are a lot of little details, like security, that go into bringing artists to Pullman. 

When booking an artist, Horon said SEB works with agents who look at different talent agencies and find artists who are increasing in popularity. 

“We’re just trying to get the artists before they blow up,” Horon said. “I basically will go through a catalog of artists. So if I find an artist that I like or that I think the students at WSU would like, I can talk about the price. A lot of it comes down to budget.”

After booking the artist and negotiating pay, Horon said SEB begins to work on production for the concert. 

She said marketing plays a big part. Horon keeps track of ticket sales and also meets with those in charge of the SEB Instagram to help promote the concerts.

Walker Brooks, Spanish and broadcast production double major, said he has not been to a SEB concert before, but he has been to other SEB events. He has seen promotion for the upcoming Alexander 23 concert around campus, including the monitors at the Compton Union Building.

Similarly, advertising major Ian Campbell has not been to a SEB concert before but has also seen promotion for the upcoming event.

Horon said it is too early to project how many tickets will be sold for the Alexander 23 concert; sometimes, large numbers of tickets are sold only a few days before the concert.

Doors open for the Alexander 23 concert at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday at the CUB Senior Ballroom. Horon said Alexander 23 and his band will take the stage at 9 p.m. and play for about an hour. 

“[Alexander 23] just played at Madison Square Garden last week,” she said. “So it’s super exciting to see his following and his engagement go up … and I think his most popular song has over 300 million streams on Spotify.”