Martinez, Parsi win ASWSU presidential race

Team receives news of their win alongside their campaign members, close friends

ASWSU+President-Elect+Jacob+Martinez+hugs+ASWSU+vice+president-elect+Kiana+Parsi+as+ASWSU+President+Brian+Patrick+and+ASWSU+Vice+President+Alexander+Pan+enter+the+room+to+deliver+the+news+of+their+win.+Martinez+and+Parsi+found+out+about+their+victory+at+8+p.m.+Wednesday+in+the+Compton+Union+Building+room+208.+

MEGHAN HENRY

ASWSU President-Elect Jacob Martinez hugs ASWSU vice president-elect Kiana Parsi as ASWSU President Brian Patrick and ASWSU Vice President Alexander Pan enter the room to deliver the news of their win. Martinez and Parsi found out about their victory at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Compton Union Building room 208.

MOLLY WILK, Evergreen reporter

The faces of WSU’s student government are shifting after Jacob Martinez and Kiana Parsi won the ASWSU presidential and vice-presidential election Wednesday night.

“Thank you so much. Me and Kiana are very excited to make a change on campus,” Martinez said. “We want to make sure we’re advocating for all and we have a lot of concrete plans in place that we have already started working on.”

The team’s campaign has focused on representation of multicultural groups, sexual assault investigation transparency, payment for undocumented students and increasing mental health resources for students. 

Martinez and Parsi have both served on the ASWSU senate, and said at the first ASWSU presidential debate that this experience has prepared them for the roles of president and vice president. 

The Election Board and Judicial Board still have to examine reports of campaign violations for both campaigns before the election can be certified on Friday, said vice-presidential opponent Kjelt Visser.

“I’m feeling really excited and really happy. I love all of you and thank you for voting for us,” Parsi said. “If you ever need anything please message me, DM me, text me — whatever you do, I will always answer.”