Murrow Symposium returns to Pullman

Two-day event offers networking, learning opportunities; events available in-person, online

NESSA ANKNEY

Award-winning journalist Ann Curry will receive the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication Lifetime Achievement Award at this year’s Murrow Symposium.

SAM TAYLOR, Evergreen sports co-editor

The Murrow Symposium is returning to the Pullman campus for the first time in three years and will offer students the chance to connect and learn from communication industry professionals.

“We came back with an in-person and a virtual experience, which is really exciting because now students everywhere can participate in symposium, rather than having to be [in Pullman],” said Ben Pingel, scholarly assistant professor and 2022 Symposium coordinator.

The Murrow Symposium gives students a chance to meet professionals from across the communication industry and participate in valuable sessions and forums. Students will also get to ask questions with Murrow alumni, Pingel said.

This will be the first in-person Murrow Symposium since 2019. The 2020 Symposium was canceled last minute because of the pandemic, and the 2021 Symposium was completely virtual, he said.

The symposium will feature 24 different sessions, keynotes and workshops, Pingel said.

The highlight of the event is the presentation of the Edward R. Murrow Lifetime Achievement Award. At every symposium, the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication recognizes a prominent professional in the communication industry and features them as the keynote speaker at the symposium, according to the symposium’s website.

Award-winning journalist Ann Curry will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award this year, Pingel said. Curry will receive her award and deliver a keynote address at 7 p.m. on Tuesday in the Compton Union Building Senior Ballroom.

“Ann Curry is amazing. She is just very dynamic and passionate and very, very excited to be here with our students,” Pingel said.

Curry will also teach two sessions on Tuesday in the CUB Senior Ballroom. “Fighting for Ethics and Professional Responsibility” at 11 a.m. and “Humanitarian and War Reporting: Learning from First-hand Experience” at 1 p.m., he said.

Pingel said there is something for everyone at the symposium, with sessions tailored for journalism students and for strategic communication students.

The symposium will also include opportunities to receive career coaching, get a headshot taken and walk around the expo with potential employers, Pingel said.

Students should take time to look over the schedule, register for the event and have an idea of what they want out of the symposium ahead of time. They should also polish their resume and think of some questions that students wish to ask the presenters, Pingel said.

Students should dress in business casual, he said.

“The Murrow community is very connected. Family is a better way of putting it. Once a Coug, always a Coug, right?” Pingel said. “Everyone is always very anxious and willing to give back.”

Pingel said all Murrow students should consider attending the symposium, including freshmen.

More information about the Murrow Symposium can be found on the symposium’s website.