David Cofer making most of new opportunity

New PHS head coach feels he is ready for the upcoming season

Head Coach David Cofer shows his Pullman High School football team specific plays. The Greyhounds open their season Sept. 2. at Husky Stadium.

Courtesy of Doug Winchel

Courtesy of Doug Winchel

Courtesy of Doug Winchel

JACOB MOORE, Evergreen sports editor

Pullman High School graduate and former football player David Cofer stepped in as the head coach for the Greyhounds’ football team at an unexpected time. Former Head Coach Dan Lucier resigned from his position in June, to be closer to his family.

Lucier left his job and an opportunity for Cofer to apply what he’s learned as the former assistant. Originally, Cofer applied and interviewed for the top position five years ago. However, Lucier was hired based on his coaching resume.

“[Lucier] gave me a piece that I was lacking,” Cofer said. “Dan kind of showed me that there’s more to coaching than playing football and that’s making an impact and experience on these kids.”

Publicly recommended by school administrators, Cofer was hired a couple weeks after Lucier’s resignation.

The opportunity did come as a shock to Cofer, though. Lucier stopped by Cofer’s house on Father’s Day to inform him that he was leaving for an opportunity at Kellogg High School, Cofer said.

Courtesy of Doug Winchel
David Cofer took over as Greyhounds head coach in June after Dan Lucier unexpectedly resigned for family reasons.

“I was completely blown away, but he does things like this,” Cofer said. “It’s part of what makes him who he is and what makes him a great person to be around.”

Although Cofer said the transition of roles came late in the game — right before summer camp, he feels he’s ready to lead his team. When he practiced with the Greyhounds for the first time as head coach, Cofer admitted he was “pretty giddy about it.”

The Greyhounds play their first contest against the Fife Trojans at 10 a.m. Sept. 2. The team will travel to Husky Stadium in Seattle for their season opener before returning to the east side of Washington.

“Anytime you have an opportunity to open at a college stadium against a tough opponent,” Cofer said, “it’s great.”

The pre-game jitters will be short-lived since the game starts early in the morning, Cofer said. This will be the first game of the Cofer-era, and he couldn’t be more excited about his new role.

“[Lucier] was going to be someone that was a mentor for me. I wasn’t ready to take over the football program five years ago,” Cofer said. “I’m excited to get something I’ve worked toward.”

JACOB MOORE, Former Evergreen sports editor

Jacob Moore is a junior sport management major from Tacoma. He graduated in December 2016.