Guided by teamwork, Cougs dominate at home

“If you do well, I do well,” sprints runner Skyler Walton said
Maribel+Caicedo+%28L%29+and+Micaela+De+Mello+%28R%29+compete+in+the+100+meter+hurdles+event+of+the+Cougar+Classic+at+Mooberry+Track%2C+April+22%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
KEATON DERNBACH
Maribel Caicedo (L) and Micaela De Mello (R) compete in the 100 meter hurdles event of the Cougar Classic at Mooberry Track, April 22, in Pullman, Wash.

The WSU track and field team hosted its only home meet of the season – and first home meet in two years – Saturday, welcoming a variety of schools from eastern Washington and northern Idaho to the Cougar Classic at Mooberry Track.

The meet kicked off with the women’s javelin (won by WSU’s Laura Lindquist at 46.65 meters) at 10 a.m. From the get-go, it was evident that the Cougs were the dominant team, ultimately combining for 24 victories (11 on the field, 13 on track).

Wazzu’s 4x100m women’s relay team — consisting of Maribel Caicedo, Elise Unrah-Thomas, Jasneet Nijjar and Skyler Walton — kicked off the on-track action with a bang. The Cougs took first at 44.55, stealing the No. 33 spot in the nation and No. 3 all-time in WSU history.

Caicedo would go on to take victory in the women’s 100-meter hurdles. Flying across the finish line at 12.85, the graduate student secured the No. 5 spot in the nation and set a new record for WSU, Mooberry Track and Ecuador.

Later, Walton broke the WSU outdoor record in the women’s 100-meter dash at 11.48. Right behind her was teammate Nijjar, taking runner up at 11.50.

It was a celebratory scene at the finish line, the Cougar women embracing and congratulating one another. When Walton’s record was announced, her teammates rallied behind her.

“We all support each other equally. And I think this year, specifically, we all have come together and just have a big difference in mindset for just supporting each other and just being 100%,” Walton said.

Walton said the team’s bond has inspired her greatly this season.

“If you do well, I do well,” Walton said. “That’s how it works. You’re running individually. But at the end of the day, if we all do well for each other, we’re going to all build each other up as a team.”

The men’s 4×100 relay team – made of Grant Buckmiller, John Parades, Ethan Willems and Mason Laywer – also took first over a second WSU entry. The men’s relay team has held up consistently throughout the spring. Buckmiller, who’s had a standout freshman indoor and outdoor season, said that his team has worked hard to see success.

“I don’t deserve [them]. Those guys are awesome. They put forth the effort on the track every day, every practice,” Buckmiller said. “They’re honestly the best teammates I could ever ask for.”

Buckmiller and Willems would later take a 1-2 finish in the men’s 200 meter dash, finishing with PRs at 21.02 and 21.38, respectively.

A full list of results from the Cougar Classic can be viewed at AthleticLIVE.

Up next, the Cougs head to Corvallis, Oregon, for the Oregon State High Performance Meet Friday and Saturday, their final regular meet of the season before the Pac-12 Championships May 10-12 in Boulder, Colorado.