Track posts 13 top-three finishes

Four Cougs placed in top five in women’s hammer throw

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-freshman weight thrower Amy Kraemer competes in the women open weight throw at the WSU Open Indoor Track and Field Meet on Jan. 19, 2019 at the Indoor Practice Facility.

LIAM CONNORS, Deputy news editor

The Cougar track and field team showed up with multiple personal bests and even a track record-breaking performance at the Whitworth Peace Meet in Spokane on April 8.

Running Events:

Sophomore Jared McAlvey ran away with a record-breaking personal best in the 400m hurdles, with a time of 51.66 seconds. McAlvey placed third in the 100-meter dash, coming in with a time of 10.75s. Senior Joseph Heitman took third place with a time of 14.83s in the 110-meter hurdles. Freshman Ashley Hollenbeck took third in the women’s 100-meter dash at 12.35s.

Throws:

Sophomore Audrey Hughes came in first place in women’s discus with a hurl of 43.9 meters. 

Senior Sasha Korolenko and sophomore Tara Koonce both had top-three finishes in the hammer throw. Korolenko took second with a 53.18-meter throw and Koonce finished third with a toss of 52.81 meters. Finishing off the top-five were junior Amy Kraemer and freshman Alexandra Payne with throws of 52.23 meters and 52.10 meters, respectively. 

Jumps:

The WSU women had an impressive display at the jumping events, with senior Anna Rodgers coming in first place with a long jump of 5.87 meters. This was Rodgers’ first win of the outdoor season. 

Junior Suzy Pace took the top spot at the women’s high jump with a season-best of 1.71 meters.

In addition to his 110 hurdle time, Heitman also finished second place in the long jump, hitting his best mark this season at 6.89 meters.

Next up:

The Coug track and field team hits the road for California this week for three separate meets — The Bryan Clay Invitational in Azusa, Calif., Mt. Sac Relays in Walnut, Calif. and the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate in Long Beach, Calif.