One Step at a Time

From Staff Reports

The dark streets of Pullman will fill with the sounds of rally chants as WSU students and Pullman community members march for violence prevention tonight.

The Coalition for Women Students will host the 30th annual Take Back the Night rally and march against sexual and domestic violence tonight beginning at 7 p.m. on the Todd Hall steps.

“It’s for every single person who suffered from violence. It’s a march for everyone,” said Maria Saucedo, chair of the Coalition of Women’s Studies.

The Take Back the Night rally and march is part of the Week Without Violence, which Brown said is a way to support those victimized by violence.

Saucedo said Take Back the Night is part of a national movement that began 30 years ago after a victim in Pennsylvania was sexually assaulted and stabbed to death while walking home from work.

Since then, colleges and universities around the country have hosted Take Back the Night events to help educate their own communities.

“There’s a lot of people who have been affected by all forms of violence,” said Paja Xiong, an intern with the WSU Women’s Resource Center.

Xiong said the purpose of this march is to remind people about sexual and domestic violence and advocate for non-violence.

Morgan Brown, chair of the YWCA-WSU, said sexual and domestic violence are severely under-reported on the WSU Pullman campus.

“It’s nice for students who have been victims to know that there’s people here that are speaking for you,” Brown said.

The event will begin with an outdoor presentation by Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse (ATVP), a non-profit organization that provides resources to victims of violence.

The presentation will include more information about ATVP’s resources including shelter, clothing and food for violence victims, Brown said.

Following ATVP, the slam poetry group Revolutionary Minds will perform original pieces, and the gospel group God’s Harmony will sing for the audience.

Each year the Coalition for Women Students works with the Women’s Resource Center to provide various performances for event guests.

After the presentations and performances, rally guests march down the Glenn Terrell Mall to College Hill and finish their route at Flag Lane.

The resources presented at Take Back the Night are available year-round to anyone in need, she said.