Fire is put out at Edison Center

Carpet scraper, acetone caused fire


Courtesy OF Fire Department

Fire within the empty unit

LIAM CONNORS, Deputy news editor

A fire broke out Monday morning in an empty section within the Edison Center between Circles of Caring and Red Card Pub and Grub.

The fire was believed to be started by a renovation error. The owner who leases the property attempted to remove the glue that held the carpet to the floor with a scraper and acetone, according to the press release.

The combination of all of the components coming together culminated in the carpet catching fire after a breeze from the door being opened ignited it, according to the release.

Damages were relegated only to the empty property, with an estimated cost still to be determined. The fire was quelled in under 20 minutes, according to the release.