Several Indigenous People’s Day events upcoming at WSU

WSU celebrating with several events on Oct. 10

COURTESY OF FLICKR COMMONS

Indigenous Peoples’ Day has become an increasingly popular celebration as an alternative to Columbus Day in places like Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and many other cities and college campuses.

Following President Joe Biden’s proclamation of Oct. 11 being Indigenous People’s Day, WSU is set to host multiple events to celebrate.

On Monday, October 10, 2022, there will be several events on campus in commemoration of the day, according to the WSU Insider article. 

The first event will be held from 9-10 a.m. and will be a tipi assembling demonstration on the Todd Hall steps. Students and general public members are welcome to attend and assist regardless of experience, according to the article.

Following the demonstration, there will be a pizza fundraiser beginning at 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The fundraiser is in support of Ku-Ah-Mah, the Native American Student Organization at WSU. As an organization, they aim to bring together a community to help better understand and be engaged with issues that Native Americans face on and off campus, according to the article.

Running alongside the previously mentioned events, student organizations will be staffing tables and sharing information about upcoming events on the Todd hall steps from 9 a.m to 2 p.m., according to the article.

The last demonstration on campus will be a keynote presentation on the significance of sweetgrass in Cree Culture from Lyman McGilvery. McGilvery is a Saddle Lake First Nation member, and a well known cultural expert, according to the article.

Several Indigenous students are participating in the events, with both indigenous and non-indigenous students being encouraged to attend in commemoration of the day and festivities on campus, according to the article.