WSU students charged in assaults Tuesday

IAN SMAY, Evergreen reporter

Pullman Police arrested two WSU students Monday evening for an incident involving an alleged assault on an officer and domestic violence.

WSU student Jacob Jones, 21, was celebrating his birthday Monday when he allegedly got into an argument with his girlfriend, Pullman Police Cmdr. Chris Tennant said. The argument turned physical when Jones reportedly began slapping his girlfriend.

Jones’ roommate, 24-year-old Jordan DeWitt, another WSU student, allegedly started fighting Jones in response to the alleged assault on his girlfriend, Tennant said.

The house where the incident took place is reported to have a sophisticated alarm system that monitors activity inside the house and alerts the alarm company of any potential disturbances, so the company can decide if they want to contact authorities. In this case, the company did just that, Tennant said.

When police arrived, DeWitt took offense to the police response and reportedly attacked an officer, Tennant said.

Police arrested Jones on charges of fourth-degree domestic assault and fourth-degree assault, while DeWitt was arrested on charges of third-degree assault, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

As of Tuesday evening, both men were in Whitman County Jail awaiting arraignment, Tennant said.

Reporting by Ian Smay

IAN SMAY, Evergreen reporter

Ian Smay is a senior journalism & media production major, with an emphasis in broadcast news, from Dayton, Washington. He is also minoring in criminal justice, and served as the crime & courts beat reporter from Aug. 2017 – May 2018. He can be reached at [email protected]