ASWSU fills new positions

OLIVER McKENNA | The Daily Evergreen

Bradley Warren was sworn in as Elections Chair during the ASWSU meeting yesterday evening.

KATIE SHADLER, Evergreen reporter

ASWSU created and filled positions during their regular meeting Wednesday.

The new election board chair, Bradley Warren, suggested new ideas to change the structure of this year’s ASWSU election.

“I don’t think this is going to be a year of voting records,” he said. “This is going to be a restructuring year.”

He suggested ideas such as establishing a board of freshmen and sophomores to increase voter turnout for underclassmen, as well as shortening voter days from two to one. He also suggested extending debate times, creating more diversity within the senate and avoiding election violations.

“What really drives me is making the government work for people,” he said.

Two other positions were sworn in, including the associate justice seat and the transfer delegate.

With eight votes in favor, the new transfer delegate, Jonathan Brown, focused on the administration’s understanding of the needs of transfer students.

He proposed ideas such as a student counseling program and a pipeline program to reach out to community colleges across Washington to inform them about the opportunities at WSU.

Overall, he found the biggest issue across campus was a lack of engagement. He hopes to help students become more involved.

The new associate justice, Jessica Kadinger, was an orientation counselor, which gave her a positive outlook and allowed her to help students be successful.

“It’s a great position for myself to give back to the WSU community because it has given so much to me,” she said.

The Senate also voted unanimously in favor of a resolution to support Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipients at WSU.