Director of Community Affairs talks summer activities with ASWSU senate

Director recaps talks with Pullman city council, vehicle restrictions at ASWSU senate meeting
Director+Sebastian+Sanders+reviews+his+summer+activities+to+the+ASWSU+senate%2C+Aug.+30%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
MADDY RICE
Director Sebastian Sanders reviews his summer activities to the ASWSU senate, Aug. 30, in Pullman, Wash.

ASWSU heard a presentation from Sebastian Sanders, Director of Community Affairs, who provided a recap of his work over the summer to the senators.

As the Director of Community Affairs, Sanders’s duties include acting as a liaison between WSU and the city of Pullman in order to foster a mutually beneficial relationship, according to the ASWSU website.

Over the summer, Sanders said he worked with Pullman city council members to approve construction for bike lanes in town in order to make the roads more friendly to riders, as well as met with city officials to improve transport in town.

One of Sanders’s primary goals as the Director of Community Affairs this year is to extend public transport hours, in particular the timings for the buses that run from the WSU campus to Apartmentland, Sanders said. Currently, the buses only run to and from campus until 6:40 p.m. on weekdays, he said.

“I know that I don’t want to walk home in the dark past 7 p.m.,” Sanders said.

Sanders said it has been very difficult to make progress on extending the bus hours due to complications with council members in the city of Pullman.

“I am working with our city council board members to get any sort of compromise,” he said. “It’s proven really difficult, but it’s something that I’m really committed to.”

Sanders said the restrictions previously placed on SPIN scooters and bikes that required riders to use them within WSU campus limits have been lifted as of Aug. 29.

“Bikes and scooters are now allowed anywhere in Pullman,” Sanders said. “There’s this thing called the geo-fence that’s been lifted, so if you guys want to ride downtown, you can.”

Until last month, there was a city ordinance that would require riders on any sort of motorized-assisted bike or scooter to wear a helmet with the risk of up to a $500 fine for non-compliance, he said.

“We advocated for a moratorium on that policy, which means that they will not enforce it until May 10th,” Sanders said.

Sanders said he is currently working with other members of the city of Pullman to get the ordinance lifted before the moratorium ends. Sanders then discussed upcoming events and collaborations with Student Legal Services in the next few weeks, which includes two housing fairs this year.

A new RSO by the name of Student Local Advocacy in Pullman has also been formed over the summer, Sanders said. SLAP will work toward increasing student representation and involvement in local politics in Pullman.

Finally, Sanders said that he has partnered with the Downtown Pullman Association as well as the Chamber of Commerce to form a committee that will create a program allowing WSU students to save money in downtown Pullman.

“Basically, imagine an excuse to go out and party on a Wednesday night because you’re getting a discount at every single store downtown,” he said.

Sanders encouraged members of the ASWSU to talk to him if they have any other ideas on how to improve student life in Pullman.