Through the Lens: WSU upsets No. 19 Wisconsin

WSU beats Badgers in back-to-back years
A+small+town%3F+SO+WHAT+flag+appears+during+the+rushing+of+the+field+against+Wisconsin%2C+Sept.+9.+
A “small town? SO WHAT” flag appears during the rushing of the field against Wisconsin, Sept. 9.

WSU football hosted then-No. 19 Wisconsin for their first home game of the year Saturday in front of a sell-out crowd. The team honored late head coach Mike Leach with pirate-themed flags and at least one fan dressed up as a pirate to honor the coach. With the hype around the game, it was nationally televised on ABC and students lined up more than four hours before game time to get good seats for what surely would be a great game.

Students brought out several signs that taunted the opposing team and supported their own. Signs included statements that Butch was hunting Bucky the Badger, that Pullman’s cheese is better and best yet, that even being a “small town” does not stop the Cougs from winning.

During the game, several different teams were recognized for their performances over the past year for WSU Athletics with a former athlete making a trip back to where he played over a decade ago to recognize a team. Last season, the women’s basketball team won the Pac-12 Tournament, so Klay Thompson returned to Pullman to help recognize the team during the game and present them their Pac-12 Trophy.

Also revealed during the big match was Butch’s identity with Paul Dennis showing his face as the man behind the mask.

The previous Butch T. Cougar reveals himself during the home opener of the 2023 football season, Sept. 9.

WSU football also recognized the volleyball team for their win over then-No. 8 BYU, a four-set match that saw Iman Isanovic and Pia Timmer tally more than 20 kills each.

The WSU volleyball team is recognized for their win over BYU during the football game, Sept. 9.

WSU started the game off fast, leading 7-3 after one quarter, but the second quarter is really where they took off. Exploding for 17 points, Lincoln Victor picked up a receiving touchdown and Dean Janikowski buried a 46-yard field goal for the offensive part of the scoring.

Despite the good offense, Ron Stone Jr. and Brennan Jackson stole the show in the second quarter. Stone Jr. had two strip sacks and Jackson recovered both loose balls, taking one into the end zone for a scoop and score TD.

The rest of the game was smooth sailing for the Cougs, with Stone Jr. and Jackson constantly pressuring Wisconsin in the backfield and Cam Ward going on to finish the game with 212 passing yards and two TDs through the air. With a late TD rush by Nakia Watson, the Cougs scored enough to pull off the big upset win.

To celebrate the huge win, fans quickly rushed the field to celebrate with the players and cheer team, singing “Back Home” and the Cougar Fight Song.

Fans hope the barricade to rush the field and celebrate with the team after win against Wisconsin, Sept. 9.
Fans rush the field and celebrate with “Back Home” and the Cougar Fight Song after win against Wisconsin, Sept. 9.