Cougar Health Services provides mental health resources for students

Individual therapy and online counseling among options available

For WSU students or faculty struggling with their mental health, access to medication, counseling and other resources is available through Cougar Health Services.

Depending on the individual situation, Cougar Health Services offers various options to treat and assist students struggling with mental health, according to their website.

Various options are present through their Counseling and Psychological Services. Individual therapy and couples therapy options are available, as are biofeedback treatments and ‘mental mobile health’ options, anonymous safe spaces and classes that help address mental health issues while connecting students.

“They put me in classes with other people who were going through the same thing, and gave us an opportunity to talk about what we were going through, and each of our own stories,” junior marketing major Jo Kau said. “We were really able to just be there for each other and it was really nice. It makes you realize that multiple other people are going through it, and we got a chance to see everyone’s story and be there for each other.”

Through CAPS, psychological assessments and access to medication are available to those who need it. CAPS also hosts Cougs for Recovery, a program that puts on events aiming to help those struggling with mental health through “peer support and harm-reduction,” according to the Cougar Health Services website.

For those seeking help, appointments with mental health counselors are available. Initial consultations can be booked through the Cougar Health Services website. For those experiencing mental health crises, support lines are available both during hours and after hours, according to their website.

“I think keeping your mental health right is just as important as keeping your body right. A lot of people eat right and work out to work up their bodies, but they don’t put a lot of attention or time into their minds, which often results in negativity overall,” WSU alumn Joaquin Mendoza said.