Insanity of college football – NCAA week six

Where does the Pac-12 go from here?
Lincoln Victor runs in a touchdown in an NCAA Football game against Northern Colorado Sept. 16, 2023 at Martin Stadium in Pullman, Wash.

Some teams took advantage of their leads and 100% mathematical probability of winning Saturday. Other teams are coached by Mario Cristobal. Miami was not the only team to experience heartbreak and underperformance, as week six had some of the most shocking results and shocking near misses of the still-young college football season.

WSU vs. UCLA 

The Cougs are undefeated no more as the Bruins successfully and completely stifled what had been an electric WSU offense. Cam Ward went from Heisman contender to lost in contention after just one week, completing just 49% of his passes, failing to break 200 yards through the air and throwing two interceptions. 

UCLA proved they should have been ranked despite their loss to Utah and that their defensive line is not something that can be overlooked when formulating a game plan. Not only did this game shine light on the flaws of this Coug team, especially when its receivers and pressured, it also proves that the Pac-12 is one of the deepest Conferences in the nation. 

Arizona vs. USC 

Once again, Caleb Williams carries what likely otherwise is not the best team in the Conference to a win over a worse team. Around Williams, there are gaping holes on both offensive and defense as the Trojans lack an explosive playmaker beyond their Heisman QB. 

But, despite it taking two overtime, USC came out on top against the Wildcats 43-41. The biggest surprise of this game was, by far, the play of freshman QB Noah Fifita of Arizona. Finishing 25 of 35 for 303 yards and 5 TDs to one interception, there should be no question that he should remain the starter even when Jayden De Laura returns from injury. 

WSU fans will get their own glimpse into the play of Fifita Saturday as Arizona comes to Martin Stadium to take on the Cougs, that is if De Laura does not wrongfully get the starting job back if he is healthy. 

Miami (FL) vs. Georgia Tech 

The game that will be remembered for its final two minutes, Miami, no doubt about it should have left this game with a win. For the second time in his coaching career, Cristobal made a head-scratching decision to run the ball rather than take the victory formation and kneel the ball down.

Hindsight is 20/20, but there is absolutely no reason why they should have lost this game. It is rather embarrassing to happen to a team that was previously undefeated. 

Louisville vs. Notre Dame 

Notre Dame had previously had their own head-scratching mistake as they only had 10 men on the field during the final two plays of their first loss of the season against Ohio State. Nothing was too head-scratching in their loss to Louisville other than the fact they were favored to win and did not look very strong. 

Sam Hartman had his worst game of the season by far as he threw three interceptions and the Fighting Irish succeeded on just two of 13 third-down attempts. The loss all but confirms that Notre Dame will not be in the College Football Playoff in 2023, barring a miracle, a sure disappointing finish for a team with such high expectations for themselves. 

Oklahoma vs. Texas 

Pure and beautiful college football, the Red River Shootout never fails to disappoint. In he first six minutes alone there were two huge interceptions, a blocked punt turned TD and more fireworks. 

Back and forth throughout, the game was decided with 15 seconds to go. Dillon Gabriel found an open receiver in the back corner of the endzone and the Sooners snuck away with a massive 34-30 victory that catapulted them into the AP Top 5. The win secured their spot at the top of the Big 10, but Texas is no joke and will likely win out the rest of their schedule.