WSU volleyball senior spotlight: Peyton Claus

Staying local from Moscow, Idaho, to Pullman
The WSU volleyball team makes their entrance onto the court before an NCAA volleyball match against UW, Sept. 21, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

The next time the WSU volleyball team plays at home, Nov. 10, the first four of eight total seniors will be recognized for their contributions to the team over the year and beyond, if applicable. 

In preparation for the senior’s big night, each of the following eight days will have a mini-feature on each recognized player.  

Peyton Claus, a setter/defensive specialist who played high school volleyball at Moscow High School in  Moscow, Idaho, came to WSU after spending the last two seasons at University of Idaho.

She and WSU teammate Katy Ryan, who played at Lakeland High School, competed against one another on the basketball court before playing volleyball with one another at WSU. Claus was an All-League player on the basketball court, but chose to pursue another sport on the hardwood collegiately. 

Ryan is not the only connection Claus had to the current team before transferring over, as she is the cousin of a senior libero/defensive specialist Logann Golden.

Coming from an athletic background, both her parents played collegiately at Eastern Washington. Her father, Zac Claus, was the former coach of the UI men’s basketball team and is now the coach of the Western Colorado Mountaineers.

Claus has moved through multiple levels of college during her eligibility, with the Cougs are her third destination.  

Starting at North Idaho College as a freshman, she played in two matches, playing five total sets and tallying 31 assists and 10 digs. After the season, she transferred closer home to play for the Idaho team. 

A successful sophomore campaign followed, seeing action in 42 sets over 16 matches, totaling 24 digs and five aces. Like many of her future teammates at WSU, Claus got the work done in the classroom and for her efforts, the Big-Sky Conference named her to the 2021 Big Sky All-Academic team. 

Claus has only seen game action once in 2023, playing a short rotation in one set in the team’s match against Northwestern State and tallying an assist for her only statistic on the season. 

Off the court, she is a part-time content creator and has taken pictures that she posts to her Instagram account @pclauscreative_.