Former Coug announces Texas Tech as transfer destination

Jasmine Martin the second player to go from Pullman to Lubbock
Jasmine+Martin+high+fives+a+young+fan+after+winning+match+in+Bohler+Gym%2C+Oct.+6%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Jasmine Martin high fives a young fan after winning match in Bohler Gym, Oct. 6, in Pullman, Wash.

If Texas Tech gave the Cougs a nickel every time they convinced a student-athlete to transfer from Pullman to Lubbock, they’d have two nickels, which isn’t a lot, but it’s weird that it has happened twice, right? 

That’s what happened after former WSU volleyball middle blocker Jasmine Martin joined former football wide receiver Josh Kelly joined the Red Raiders in December. 

Martin is entering her fifth year of college volleyball, spending the previous four seasons with the WSU program under the Greeny’s, Jen and Burdette. 

Last season, Texas Tech went 11-19 overall and 4-14 in the Big 12, but with Martin and several other additions through the transfer portal, the team is optimistic to build upon their disappointing season. 

“Very happy to add Jasmine to our roster. She’s a great athlete with a fast arm and will fit well with the speed of our offense,” head coach Tony Graystone said in a press release. “Jasmine is a high-energy player and is a lot of fun to watch, but she also knows how to win and will definitely have that mindset.”

By trade, Martin is an outside hitter, playing her high school days her first two years at WSU at the position. But due to an influx of injuries and overall lack of depth, made the transition to the middle blocker role. 

While knee injuries limited her productivity and time on the court, she played in 30 matches during her four-year stint with the Cougs, tallying 103 kills and 64 blocks in the process.