Coug volleyball adds Haumea Marumoto to 2024 roster

Team starting to round out after coaching slots filled
A+young+WSU+fan+smiles+with+a+ball+after+getting+it+from+a+Coug+volleyball+player+pregame+of+an+NCAA+volleyball+match%2C+Oct.+13%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
A young WSU fan smiles with a ball after getting it from a Coug volleyball player pregame of an NCAA volleyball match, Oct. 13, in Pullman, Wash.

Shortly after solidifying their coaching staff for the 2024 season with the hiring of Kristin Watson, the WSU volleyball program made another addition. This time, it’s in outside hitter Haumea Marumoto. 

Maramoto stands at 6-foot 2-inches tall and hails from Punahou High School in Honolulu, Hawaii. In 2024, the team went 13-5 overall and 10-4 in league play, with the team losing in the State Championship game to end her high school career, according to the Punahou High School website

In her senior season, she had 373 kills and averaged 3.7 kills per set. She hit .210% on the season, bringing her high school average to around the .200% mark, according to MaxPreps

With an increased role in each subsequent season in high school, she finished her career with 655 kills over 208 sets played, with 80.8% of those sets being in her two upperclassman seasons. Over the four years, shit hit .197% and averaged over 3.0 kills per set, adding 56 total blocks and 132 digs, according to MaxPreps. 

In addition to her play on the high school team, she played for the club “Spike and Serve” on the SASVBC 18-1 team, according to SportsRecruits.

A three-time USAV A1 High-Performance Team member and four-time Under Armour All-American, she brings a new spark to the overhauled Cougar offensive attack that new head coach Korey Schroeder will rely on youth to control.