ASWSUG tailgates for a cause

By Madison Callan Evergreen reporter

The Center for Civic Engagement (CCE) and online campus government ASWSU Global (ASWUG) are teaming up to host a school supplies drive and tailgate party Saturday at the WSU football game in Seattle.

The drive is collecting school supplies for children of Mary’s Place, a women’s shelter in Seattle.

“We worked with CCE to find a place that was really lacking in school supplies, and that was one place that really needed it,” ASWSUG President Brianna Lisenbee said.

Kelsea Holbrook, ASWSUG senator and chair of the Student Resources Committee, said there is a lot of enthusiasm for the event because the WSU Global students do not have the normal campus experience and do not often get the chance to come together for events.

Holbrook hopes the drive will get local children excited about going back to school.

Erin McIlraith, the marketing and communication coordinator for the CCE, said hopefully the donations will add some normalcy back into the lives of the children that are involved with the shelter.

“If we can provide some of that, it’s just one less stressor for those children,” McIlraith said.

Every year ASWSUG picks a game in Seattle to do a tailgate, and this year they are combining it with a school supplies drive for ASWSUG students, although anyone can stop by to donate, McIlraith said.

Lisenbee said in past years, ASWSU Global has usually hosted a food drive along with the tailgate, but this year the senate decided to focus on school supplies instead.

“This is new, and we’re excited to have something different,” Lisenbee said.

The CCE supports the decision of ASWSUG and played more of an organizational role in setting up the tailgate and supply drive, McIlraith said.

“They’re going to be primarily running it, we helped them with community partners and helped them advertise for it,” McIlraith said. “We’re more than willing to support whatever they’re passionate about.”

The tailgate and donation drop-off will take place outside Pyramid Alehouse in downtown Seattle and will go from 4 to 6 p.m., Holbrook said.

“We hold it as an annual event for every Seattle game because most global students are located in the greater Puget Sound area,” Holbrook said. “It’s great to have people meet and come together as the community that we are.”

Over 200 WSU Global students have registered for the event, and all have been asked to donate, Holbrook said.

“Because it’s an opportunity to meet face to face, we thought it was a great opportunity to give back to the community that we’re a part of,” Holbrook said.