Through the Lens: MBB dominate from start to finish

Cougs take down Vandals 84-59 in opener
WSU forward Isaac Jones drives to the basket during an NCAA men’s basketball game against Idaho, Nov. 6, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

To start the season, WSU men’s basketball team absolutely dominated in a big 84-59 win over Idaho. Despite limited roster turnover from last season, head coach Kyle Smith has already found what works for his unit on the court. Only a single player on the starting five returns from last year: Andrej Jakimovski, and he played well.

Jakimovski played in 33 minutes, scoring 21 points while shooting 8-of-16 from the field and 3-of-8 from beyond the arc. He added four rebounds and two assists while committing just a single personal foul and having one turnover, finishing as the team MVP for game one.

As a team, WSU out-shot the Vandals 54% to 35%, shot better from three, 39% to 20%, had one less turnover, had an astonishing rebound advantage 45-26, with 14 offensive boards and had 14 assists to Idaho’s eight.

The only way that Idaho was a better team was their shooting from the free-throw line. Taking seven more attempts, Idaho shot an efficient 72% from the line, while WSU shot just 52%.

Several players made their WSU debuts and made a massive impact. After missing all of last year, Myles Rice had 13 points, four rebounds, three assists and a +/- of 17 on the court.

Joseph Yesufu did not really get things going offensively but played suffocating defense on the primary Idaho ball handlers. He had five points and five rebounds while getting a steal on the defensive end and having just one turnover.

Joseph Yesufu attempts a three-pointer against Idaho, Nov. 6, in Pullman, Wash.

Isaac Jones, after playing against the team he played for just last season, had 13 points and nearly put up a double-double as he had nine rebounds in the win. Splitting the love, he had four boards on the offensive glass and five defensively, also leading the team with two steals on the night.

Ruebe Chinyelu finished with eight points in his first action as a Coug, adding eight rebounds and three blocks. His interior presence will be a massive difference-maker for WSU as they prep for Pac-12 play.

Reuben Chinyelu fights off a defender and dives for a loose ball, Nov. 6, in Pullman, Wash.

Smith showed off the depth of his team, as beyond the starters, six other players saw game action, with four of them getting double-digit minutes and Kyman *Kymany Houinsou even putting up seven points in 21 minutes.

Kymany Houinsou before inbounding the ball in a game against Idaho, Nov. 6, in Pullman, Wash.