Through the Lens: WSU MBB improves to 6-1

Cougs beat Portland State 71-61
Myles Rice lays on the floor after a getting fouled, Dec. 2, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU men’s basketball (6-1) continued their winning ways in their recent win over Portland State, 71-61. Isaac Jones dominated, scoring 27 points in just 29 minutes to lead the Cougs past the Vikings.

Rueben Chinyelu rises for the opening tip against Portland State, Dec. 2, in Pullman, Wash.

Closer than expected, the two teams were tied at 31 at the half. Jones led the Cougs with 13 at the half, with Myles Rice finishing second with just six. Jones had 33% of the shot attempts for WSU, being the focus of that side of the floor. WSU made just one three in the entire first half and two throughout the entire game, choosing to do their damage from inside the arc.

Andrej Jakimovski shoots one of two of the made three-point attempts from the Cougs, Dec. 2, in Pullman, Wash.

The Cougs pulled away in the second half behind Jones’ continued dominance and Rice stepping up. Jones had 14 and Rice had 13 in the second half, with only three other plays scoring in the half.

Myles Rice protects the ball from the defender as he shoots a short field goal, Dec. 2, in Pullman, Wash.

Being the primary scorer for the Cougs through the first eight games, Rice had the ball in his hands a lot throughout the game. Despite taking a fall and bloodying his elbow, he played his best after getting bandaged up. He and Jones took over the game, with Kymany Houinsou being the only other Coug to finish in double digits (10).

Myles Rice and his bloody elbow during the Cougs 71-61 win over PSU, Dec. 2, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU got most of their scoring done on individual plays in the post. Only five of their 28 field goals were assisted, two coming from Rice and one from Houinsou, Jabe Mullins and Oscar Cluff.

Ball security was far from a strength for the Cougs. With 13 turnovers and just seven takeaways the Cougs lost a significant battle, but survived to win the game.

Bodies hit the floor as WSU and PSU fight for a loose ball, Dec. 2, in Pullman, Wash.

More than just a scorer, Jones finished with a double-double. Adding to just 27 points, he finished with a game-leading 11 rebounds, the only player on either team to finish with double-digit rebounds. A hyper-efficient performance, Jones shot 73.3% from the field, even making one of the Cougs two three-pointers.

Despite playing in just 15 minutes, Jaylen Wells made an impact. He had three points and five rebounds, but did not get the ball or see the floor much.

The Jones and Rice show continues at 7 p.m. Wednesday as they take on UC Riverside in Beasley.

Gallery: