Volleyball proves academic prowess equal to on-court production

Three Cougs earn CSC Academic All-District Honors
SAM TAYLOR
Lana Radakovic, Katy Ryan, Argentina Ung and Iman Isanovic celebrate Pia Timmer after WSU volleyball’s big play in round two of the NCAA Tournament vs. Dayton Dec. 2 in Pullman, Wash.

Year after year, WSU volleyball proves its consistency both on the court and in the classroom. Three student-athletes were honored by College Sports Communicators as members of the CSC Academic All-District Team. Eligible players had to play at least 90% of the team’s matches over the season and maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher, a mark achieved by Magda Jehlárová, Iman Isanovic and Katy Ryan.

Jehlárová earned CSC All-District honors for the third consecutive season and was an All-American Second Team player in 2022. This season, she had her most efficient and overall best season of her WSU career. 

Hitting .424%, she had 2.41 kills per set and 1.39 blocks per set over 122 sets. In the NCAA Tournament, she led her team to the Sweet 16, putting up a massive performance against Dayton in the second round, tallying 15 kills and 10 blocks while hitting .750% without an error. Although their run ended in the next match, that performance was the single greatest of her 147 total with the Cougs.

Isanovic only played one season on the Palouse, but her on-court and academic excellence is nothing new. Like Jehlárová, 2023 is the third consecutive season that Isanovic made the CSC Academic All-District team. In 2023, she had two 20-plus kill matches and averaged 12 kills per match in the Cougs NCAA Tournament run. Ending the season hitting .249% with 3.22 kills per set, she was an All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention.

Finally, Katy Ryan made the CSC Academic All-District for the second time in as many years. Herself an All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention, Ryan had a similar season in 2023. Finishing hitting a more efficient .279%, she had slightly lower kills per set at 2.27 compared to her 2022 mark of 2.47, but certainly helped her team the same amount.

All three will appear on the Academic All-American ballot and will be voted for the team later this week.