Willman: Pac-12 hoops is wide open

Both men and women are tight
EMMA DECASA
WSU guard Kyra Gardner and center Bella Murekatete flex in celebration on the sidelines during an NCAA women’s basketball game against Arizona, Jan. 21, 2024, in Pullman, Wash.

It is the last season of the Pac-12 and both men’s and women’s hoops are not disappointing. From top to bottom, the Conference is battling. Every game could go either way and upsets have been no uncommon occurrence. 

Men’s 

Most recently, the Oregon State Beavers, a team now just 2-6 and 11th in the standings in Conference play, beat the projected best team and the only ranked team, Arizona 83-80. Oregon State’s Jordan Pope popped off for 31 points and hit the game-winning three as time expired to pull off the upset, calling the shot the best of his career. 

“I think that might be my first [game-winner as time expires] if not two or three,” Pope said. “That’s definitely my best one.” 

Arizona is now 14-5 and just 5-3 in Pac-12 play, despite being the only ranked team in the AP Top 25. OSU is not the only notable upset for the Wildcats, as WSU also took them down by three. A 73-70 win Jan. 13, the Cougs got a win over Arizona at home for the first time since the 2009–10 season. 

Cougs head coach Kyle Smith said it was a good win and it felt good to get the win again after a 14-season hiatus. However, as he looked ahead to his upcoming games against Cal and Stanford, he knew it did not get easier in Pac-12 play. 

“The league’s good. Cal and Stanford are good. They’re really good offensive teams,” Smith said after the Arizona win. 

A win over Stanford by 14 before a loss to Cal in overtime snapped the Cougs’ winning streak. Despite starting 0-2 and then 1-3 in Conference play, the Cougs are now 5-4 and firmly sit in the middle of the Pac-12 standings as they are tied for sixth place. 

The top team, Oregon, was the last undefeated team in Pac-12 play, but after two losses to Utah and Colorado, the top seed is back in play for a lot of the Conference. 

USC, despite having a lot of star power and what seems to be an endless supply of NIL money, is just 2-6 in Conference play, the very bottom of the standings.  

Despite being 3-5 in Pac-12 play, Cal has the Conference’s leading scorer. Jaylon Tyson is averaging 21.0 points per game while shooting a super-efficient 49.1% from the field as a guard. In his 34.1 minutes per game, he is also averaging 7.2 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.4 steals per game as one of the best statistical individuals in the Conference this season. 

Just like how the No. 7-seeded WSU women ran the gauntlet in the Pac-12 Tournament last season, any team could take the title if they get hot when they travel to Las Vegas. 

The Cougs Isaac Jones has had some of the best performances of anyone in the Pac-12 this season, evidenced by his National Player of the Week award and overall averages of 15.8 points and 7.7 rebounds per game. His points average is good for eight-best in the Pac-12 and his rebounds average is fourth-best in the Pac-12. 

Jones has also proven to be one of the most efficient players in the Pac-12, with his 58.5% shooting mark ranking second to none. 

Perhaps if the Cougs snag the No. 7 seed, they could channel the aura that Kamie Ethridge and the women had last season to make their own Tournament run. 

Women’s 

Similar, but different. The women of the Pac-12 also have a lot of parody, thanks in large part to the immense and deep talent running through the Conference. Six teams currently rank within the AP Top 25, UCLA leading the way at No. 2, Colorado not far behind at No. 3, Stanford ranks No. 6, USC is No. 11, Utah is No. 16 and Oregon State squeaks in at No. 25.

Notably, the team that stood tall above the rest in the Pac-12 Tournament is not one of the ranked teams. Sitting just 3-3 in Conference play, the Cougs have not gotten off to the best start, and their future games are not making anything easier. 

“It’s like climbing Mt. Everest. Now we’re in that stretch of the four top-15 teams in the country,” head coach Kamie Ethridge said after the Arizona win. 

Looking around the Conference, both Stanford and Colorado have lost just once in Pac-12 play, but they are not inevitable. Most matchups are decided by single-digits and with a couple of different bounces, UCLA might be the best team, perhaps Colorado is undefeated and many other what-ifs lay abound the Conference.

Proven just one year ago, any team can win the Pac-12. Right now, it is just about getting the best seeding possible for that Tournament run.

Freshman guard JuJu Watkins has exploded on the scene, taking over the Pac-12 with her incredible averages of 26.1 points per game and 7.0 rebounds. Her mark of 26.1 points not only leads her conference but is second nationally. 

Arizona has performed well when it comes to forcing turnovers, led by their duo of Helena Pueyo at 3.0 steals per game and Esmery Martinez at 2.1 steals per game, ranking in the top five. 

Stanford, the team is always ripe with expectations, has two top-five rebounders on their team. Cameron Brink is averaging 10.7 rebounds per game to go along with her 3.2 blocks per game. Just barely pacing her, teammate Kiki Iriafen is averaging 10.8 rebounds per game. 

The path to Vegas is never easy, but anything can happen once the teams are there. Look forward to more upsets in both the men’s and women’s brackets.