Pullman PD responds to domestic violence calls

Both arrests took place on Monday
MASON MARON
The Pullman Police Department made multiple arrests in response to domestic violence calls Monday

Pullman Police Department made two separate arrests throughout the day Monday in calls concerning allegations of domestic abuse.

Police arrested Ryan Scanlan, 20, after following up a call about an alleged domestic dispute between Scanlan and his uncle around 8:30 a.m. Scanlan allegedly assaulted his uncle after getting into an argument with him over Scanlan’s life choices, Pullman PD Commander Aaron Breshears said. Scanlan faces a charge of domestic assault and a charge of possession of dangerous weapons after police found brass knuckles in his possession. 

Police also separately arrested Gassan Abess, 51, after responding to a domestic violence call around 5:30 p.m. and finding that one of the children present had taken video of Gassan assaulting his wife, Breshears said. Gassan faces two charges of assault in the fourth degree. Both Scanlan and Abess are in Whitman County Jail. 

“We’ll do some follow-up investigating. We always do with domestic violence incidents because sometimes on the initial report, we don’t always get all of the past information disclosed to us,” Breshears said.  

The arrests come off the heels of another made on Saturday, when police arrested Preston Ferrell for stalking, residential burglary and malicious mischief. After subsequent investigation, Ferrell was also charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and possession of a controlled substance, Breshears said.  

“I wouldn’t say it’s a big spike in domestic violence crimes- a slightly more serious uptick involving the firearms and the stalking. But unfortunately, these things happen too often,” Breshears said.