Portion of Green 3 parking is set to close

Portion will close May 6, will become site for Voiland College of Enginnering and Architecture
ANNA HARO
The Green 3 parking lot is located off of College Avenue near Daggy Hall and is set to close.

The Green 3 parking lot located off of College Avenue near Daggy Hall is set to close on May 6, to become the building site for a new Voiland College of Enginnering and Architecture building.

A small portion of Green 3 parking will begin to close starting in mid-April for pre-construction set up and for preparation of the new building site, with specific dates still pending, said transportation demand manager Damien Rodriguez. The parking lot will fully be shut down for operations a week after finals and commencement. 

The new Schweitzer Engineering Hall is prepared to become the Voiland College center for on-campus activities, with construction for the building set to end in 2026, according to the Voiland College website. Once finished the new building will feature modern classrooms, a space for events, collaborative rooms for team projects and a place for shops to open. 

“There are plans to possibly create additional parking as part of future construction,” Rodriguez said. “Additional funding sources will need to be secured including additional planning for future phases of projects in that area of campus.”  

Additionally, located between Idaho St. and Spokane St., a stretch of road from Columbia St. will temporarily close for the duration of the project in order for construction materials to easily be transported to and from the building site, he said. 

Alternative parking will be available for students and faculty through the AMP Park app’s hourly parking near the Green 3 lot on Columbia St., which will stay open through construction, Rodriguez said.  

“Due to the construction and new building site, majority of the affected parking lot will not reopen as it will become the building site,” Rodriquez said. 

Additionally, various nearby Green 3 lots will remain open throughout construction, he said. 

“I never even heard that the school was shutting down some of the parking spots,” said Diego Rios, sophomore architect major and student with a Green 3 parking permit. “That’s good that there will still be other parking spots available to people that have the parking passes, and it is cool that a new building will be coming to WSU.” 

Rios said transportation should do better at telling students what is happening with parking because it affects students, who already pay a lot for passes as it is. However, the construction should not affect him too much because he will be able to find a different parking spot for next semester.