Greyhound boy’s basketball eliminated in heartbreaker

Pullman’s big men combined for 35 of the team’s 60; Could not close the game out up 8
Pullman shooting guard Champ Powaukee drives to the hoop during a 2A state semifinal game against Mark Morris, March 3, 2023, in Yakima, Wash.

Prosser junior Koby McClure drove down the baseline on Pullman senior Austin Hunt. As he lept with the ball, Hunt lept with him, requiring McClure to pull the ball toward his body, and with his right hand, extend the ball under Hunt’s to make a layup while time expired to send the game to overtime. All the Greyhounds could do was watch.

Despite holding an 8-point lead, many costly mistakes by Pullman gave Prosser the chance to send the round of 12 state game to overtime and eventually pull out a stunning comeback victory, 65-60, Wednesday night.

The McClure brothers, Kory and Koby,  took it into their own hands to send the game to overtime with each of them hitting threes off Pullman turnovers and Koby McClure finishing an acrobatic up-and-under layup on Hunt to send the game to overtime.

From that point on, Prosser had the momentum and never looked back. The Mustangs capped off State with two more wins, finishing fourth.

Pullman seniors Austin Hunt and Alex Bicklehaupt led the Greyhounds in scoring with 23 and 12 points respectively and freshman Cade Rogers added 10.

To start the game, Prosser made the interesting decision to start small. Using that to Pullman’s advantage, Hunt started off the game with a dunk.

The Greyhounds dissected the Mustang’s zone press and exploited their weakness by getting the ball to Hunt on the post in the first quarter.

Prosser’s offense was flustered early. The Greyhounds started the game on an 11-4 run.

Once 6-foot-7 junior Trent Russell subbed in for Prosser, the tides turned. The Mustangs went on a 7-2 run to end the quarter down, 13-11.

After a sluggish first quarter, Kory McClure started the second quarter with a three and Pullman junior Daniel Kwon knocked down a floater.

Prosser returned to a small lineup and doubled Hunt.

The game was a back-and-forth affair. Prosser’s plan was to apply pressure to speed Pullman’s offense up. Whenever the Greyhounds expanded their lead, Prosser would then create points off Pullman turnovers.

The Greyhounds strategically started playing both Hunt and Bicklehaupt to make the game all about paint play. Mudding up the game, there were only five points in the final 4:37 of the first half. Pullman was up in a defensive slugfest at half, 23-20.

Hunt continued to assert himself in the paint, helping Pullman clean up on the offensive boards. Bicklehaupt also stepped up to create opportunities for Pullman on offense.  Hunt grabbed 13 boards for the Greyhounds.

He was not the only player off the bench to have success Wednesday night. Players that normally do not see the court, played.

Senior Cade Hill and junior Evan Anderson saw playing time and helped on the defensive side of the ball for Pullman.

For Prosser, junior Tyler Groeneveld and sophomore Adrian Rivera made clutch shots that kept them in the game when their star players struggled to score.

Koby McClure made a jumper near the right elbow to put Prosser ahead for the first time with seven minutes left in the fourth quarter, up 35-34.

Coming out of a Pullman timeout, Bicklehaupt slashed through the paint for an easy layup off the inbounds pass. Pullman created a little momentum off a turnover and Rogers three to extend the lead to five.

This is when the fireworks started, and things began going downhill for the Greyhounds.

After an 8-0 Pullman run, the McClure brothers each hit a 3-pointer off two Pullman turnovers.

Late in the fourth quarter senior Champ Powaukee fouled out with 52 seconds left, which happened to be the last time he stepped off the floor as a Greyhound.

Russell fouled out for Prosser and Pullman did not use their size as an advantage after that.

The McClure brothers combined for 40 of Prosser’s 65, with Koby McClure scoring 22 and Kory McClure scoring 18.

Pullman had multiple chances to seal a victory and advance in State, but turnovers and a poor night on the line shooting free throws are what cost them the game. Prosser planned to speed up the Greyhounds offense and that is what they did.

Kwon was benched for almost all of the second half, even though he has been one of the team’s most productive players this season.

The round of 12 is single elimination, so the Pullman Greyhounds season came to a close. This senior class ended their career as Greyhounds with an accumulative four-year record of 76-13.

View Comments (1)