Grant Taylor takes home two awards for Apple Cup performance

Righty earns second career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week Award
Grant+Taylor+throwing+a+pitch+in+the+only+inning+played+Friday%2C+March.+1%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Grant Taylor throwing a pitch in the only inning played Friday, March. 1, in Pullman, Wash.

For his one-hit, 17-strikeout shutout against the Washington Huskies Thursday, Washington State right-handed pitcher Grant Taylor earned two weekly honors. From the Pac-12, he won the Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week and from Perfect Game, he earned PG National Co-Pitcher of the Week.

The complete game shutout is just the second time in his WSU career that Taylor went all nine, with his first being his May 19, 2022 performance against Arizona State, which was the first time he had earned Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honors.

Against the Sun Devils, he pitched a complete 9.0 innings, giving up two hits and two walks while striking out seven on 133 pitches in a 2-0 win.

His performance against the Huskies was head and shoulders above his first complete game. In the opener of the Apple Cup Series in Seattle, he went a complete 9.0 innings, giving up just a single hit and not walking a batter while striking out a program-record 17 batters on just 115 pitches.

Thursday’s win was the first time this season he had pitched beyond six innings, also being just the fourth time he’s broken the century mark in pitch count.

With 17 strikeouts, Taylor also broke the program record for a single game, passing WSU legend John Olerud in the process. He dominated the UW lineup with all his pitches, striking out 15 of the 17 batters swinging.

At one point striking out 10 in a row and retiring 25 straight batters, no other Taylor outing will stand by the side of his dominant Apple Cup performance.

On the season, the Cougs ace is now 4-1 (tied for a career-high in wins) with an ERA of 3.27 (career high) and a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 47-16 (career high).

In line for roughly five more regular season starts Taylor has put together a career-defining year in his final crimson and gray campaign.