The bad news: six more Cougs enter portal

Jakimovski, Chinyelu, Cluff and more to seek new opportunities
Rueben Chinyelu walking out after being named a starter against USC, Feb. 29, in Pullman, Wash

It has been just over a week since Kyle Smith departed and Myles Rice (among others) entered the transfer portal. Since then, seven more Cougs have followed him, including all but two of last season’s rotation. Here, they will be named by minutes per game in descending order.

Andrej Jakimovski entered the transfer portal Friday, posting a statement on social media.

“To my Cougs, I want to express my deepest gratitude, your support and love meant the world to me,” Jakimovski wrote. “I want to emphasize that there is always a chance for me to return as a Coug for my last year.”

The senior forward averaged 9.7 points last year as he led the Cougs in minutes. A volume shooter and solid defender, his season ended on a sour note due to a shoulder injury that sullied his usually pure outside shot.

Jakimovski was in the comments of WSU loyalist Isaiah Watts’ eventful livestream Tuesday night, lending credence to his statement about potentially staying.

Joseph Yesufu entered the portal Monday. The fifth-year senior played in only six games this season before being sidelined with injury. He struggled in those six games, averaging 6.2 points on 36.8% shooting.

Yesufu won a national championship as a bench piece at Kansas, and will now look for his next chance to prove he has what it takes to lead a team.

Oscar Cluff entered the portal Tuesday. The center out of the Sunshine Coast of Australia started 23 games last season, averaging 7.0 points and 4.4 rebounds. He was a fundamental piece of the Cougars’ dominant interior defense.

Earlier in the year, Cluff expressed that he wanted to stay with the Cougs next season. This makes him a prime candidate to stick with WSU, and if he did he would undoubtedly play a major role next year.

The Cougs other center, Reuben Chinyelu, also entered the portal. He put out a statement on social media Friday.

“A special shout out to the Pullman Community for making this season truly remarkable. your kindness and Hospitality have created an environment where anyone can thrive,” Chinyelu wrote. “I am deeply grateful for your unwavering support.”

The true freshman big out of Nigeria started the games Cluff did not, averaging 5 rebounds and 1.3 blocks. While raw, his talent in the paint on both ends came up big in several games for the Cougs.

Jabe Mullins entered the portal Friday. After a big junior year in which he started numerous games and contributed greatly from the outside, Mullins had a down season as a senior.

He averaged only 1.6 points per game as the Cougs made their way back to the tournament, but was always ready for the call to check into the game. With one season of eligibility left, he will be in search of playing time.

AJ LaBeau entered the portal Friday. The walk-on big man posted a statement on social media.

“I want to thank Coach Smith, the assistants, and support staff for giving me an opportunity. I want to thank my teammates for their love and support,” LaBeau wrote. “We were truly a brotherhood this year. It is with mixed emotions that I have entered the transfer portal.”

LaBeau was with Watts during the aforementioned livestream and seems to be staying with the program. Still, nothing is official, and he is still in the portal.

These transfers leave the Cougs with only two players left who saw time last year, those being Watts and Jaylen Wells. Redshirts Spencer Mahoney and Parker Gerrits are still with the team as well.