Phishing scam found to be targeting students

Email found claiming to be a professor, asking for students names, phone numbers and addresses
JOSIAH PIKE
An example of the emails being sent out to students

A phishing campaign targeting WSU students has been identified by WSU’s Information Security Services.

The person behind the campaign is posing as a WSU professor and is falsely recruiting students for a part-time remote assistant position at WSU. The attacker is contacting students through compromised WSU and Gmail accounts.

The email contains a Google Form link for a job application that requests personal information including students’ names, home addresses and non-WSU email addresses. The latter is believed to be an attempt to communicate through a non-WSU domain to evade security measures that identify malicious activity within the university’s email system.

WSU Information Technology Services encourages students not to communicate with the cyber attacker and to report it to [email protected] if they see the email. If students believe they have shared information with them, they can contact Crimson Service Desk at 509-335-4357 or [email protected] .