ASWSU Judicial Board rebrands to connect across campus

ASWSU Judicial Board members yearn to rebrand themselves through increased student outreach and relationship building with other student government entities.

The duty of the ASWSU Judicial Board is to uphold the constitutionality of student government by collaborating with the legislative and executive branches. Five officers represent the judicial board throughout the year, and the officers are most active during ASWSU election season in the spring.

“When it comes to the branches of ASWSU, it gets overlooked a lot,” said Associate Chief Justice Gloria Richardson.

Talking with students is important for revitalizing the image of the judicial board, she said.

“We just want to be seen on campus,” Richardson said.

Josh Munson, the newly appointed chief justice, also looks forward to connecting with the WSU community. Munson said he plans on making appearances in the CUB so students can learn about what the judicial board is.

Although the board conducts much of their business during election season, there is also behind-the-scenes activity year around.

“Up until then (election season), we spend time looking over the constitution and bylaws, making suggestions to the senate as to what changes could be good,” Richardson said.

In March 2013, Nicholas Goodman, former assistant chief justice, expressed a need to modernize the ASWSU constitution and bylaws.

Richardson said many of the bylaws are not up to date for current situations that could occur.

Communication with the executive and legislative branches of ASWSU has also fallen on the board’s list as a top priority for this year.

“The goal is to get on the same page when it comes to appointing new justices and making sure we keep those lines open so that we’re all comfortable coming to each other for suggestions,” Richardson said.

ASWSU President Taylor Hennessey attests to creating an open line of communication between all branches of student government.

“We can only get stronger as a unit if we ask for help and look for ways to partner with one another,” Hennessey said. “I think that we need to incorporate them also into what we do with other committees and just make sure people know they’re just as part of ASWSU as much as we are.”

Three seats remain open on the board. Applications are not available at this time, but interested candidates can contact Chief Justice Josh Munson to learn more about the positions.