Portal movement continues for WSU basketball

Joseph Yesufu, AJ LaBeau headline departees
Joseph+Yesufu+attempts+a+three-pointer+against+Idaho%2C+Nov.+6%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Joseph Yesufu attempts a three-pointer against Idaho, Nov. 6, in Pullman, Wash.

The college basketball transfer portal’s entrance closed at the start of May, but those already in the portal still need to find their destinations. As two more former Cougs have announced their destinations, two new transfers have taken their spots.

Walk-on big man AJ LaBeau was thought to be staying at WSU despite being in the transfer portal, but that thought was wrong. He announced his transfer to Cornell May 11 via social media, taking his talents across the country and into the Ivy League.

Fifth-year guard Joseph Yesufu was next.  Injured most of the year, he played only six games for the Cougs, averaging 6.2 points on 36.8% shooting. It was announced that he will be transferring to West Virginia Monday. 

Yesufu started his career at Drake under head coach Darian DeVries before transferring to and winning a national championship with Kansas. DeVries was hired by West Virginia just after the season ended and now brings his former point guard with him.

On the other end of the portal, the Cougs have seen a pair of additions. Rihards Vavers is a forward out of Latvia who is transferring to WSU from Quinnipiac University. He averaged 7.9 points on 37% 3-point shooting last season. Vavers announced his transfer via social media May 7.

Cal forward ND Okafor has played limited minutes in his career so far, averaging just 3.3 points over two seasons in Berkeley. The power-forward from Nigeria and Ireland announced his transfer via social media Monday.

Head coach David Riley inherited a team that quickly hemorrhaged. Now, he has nearly rebuilt it into a full roster, with just a few openings left.