Stopping violence: ‘It’s On Cougs’

This weekend, the focus was on preventing sexual violence at an individual level.

On Saturday in the CUB Junior Ballroom, ASWSU organized a student led dialogue to prevent sexual violence as part of the “It’s On Cougs” campaign.

“I am always excited to see students take the lead, this is student-led and they have asked for help when they needed it. I couldn’t be happier, these are students who are engaged and this is a crucial issue,” Dean of Students Melynda Huskey said. “I am really impressed with the quality of students we have here.”

ASWSU has taken a Pullman spin on the White House proposal “It’s On Us.” According to the White House, “It’s On Us” is a rally designed to invite everyone to step up and realize that the solution begins at an individual level. 

This campaign was aimed at universities, challenging them to change the societal view on sexual assault, and to inspire people to see it as their responsibility to do something to prevent it. 

ASWSU took this campaign and modified it for WSU, calling it, “It’s On Cougs.” 

“It’s On Cougs” is a pivotal movement for our entire community to get involved in,” said Panhellenic President Madi Phillips. “It’s about keeping our community safe and accountable, and I am all for inspiring individuals to do so. It’s time we stop letting societal norms hinder us from doing the right thing. I encourage every organization to take this pledge.”

A way to bring “It’s On Cougs” directly to the students is by giving them an opportunity to take a pledge to stop sexual violence. 

The pledge is a document detailing what the organizations or individuals are committed to doing to stop sexual violence. It is up for interpretation, and once it is signed the signatory is then held accountable for what they committed to. 

An individual can take the pledge in person at a pledge table on campus or on ASWSU’s website. 

“‘It’s on Cougs’ is designed to focus on WSU students to make sure they can make a difference off campus and in their own communities,” said ASWSU Vice President LaKecia Farmer. 

During the event on Saturday ASWSU made a point to educate students on what the university was doing legally to prevent sexual violence. 

Title IX is a legal term that is often used regarding sexual violence, and was discussed at the event. As described by the Dean of Students office, Title IX states that “no person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” 

This can apply to sexual violence as well. Nikki Finnestead, the violence prevention coordinator at Health and Wellness Services, spoke about this at the event. 

Finnestead discussed what ‘consent’ means – a firm, definitive “yes” – and said she sees sexual violence far too often. 

“I have spent too many hours with individuals whose lives have been affected by sexual violence,” Finnestead said. 

Panhellenic has supported ASWSU’s efforts with this, Phillips said, and she has used this service to help educate women in the Greek community, she said. 

“I think this service is an amazing resource and sorority women will feel more prepared to address the issue,” Phillips said.