Coroner confirms cause of death, ASWSU plans vigil

Redshirt+sophomore+quarterback+Tyler+Hilinski+passes+to+redshirt+senior+running+back+Jamal+Morrow+at+Qualcomm+Stadium+at+the+2018+Holiday+Bowl.+

RYAN PUGH | The Daily Evergreen

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Tyler Hilinski passes to redshirt senior running back Jamal Morrow at Qualcomm Stadium at the 2018 Holiday Bowl.

FORREST HOLT, Evergreen news editor

The Whitman County Coroner confirmed Thursday morning that redshirt sophomore quarterback Tyler Hilinski’s death was a suicide.

A self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head caused his death, according to a news release from the coroner.

Pullman Police responded to a call at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday to check up on Hilinski, 21, and found the Irvine, California native dead in his apartment.

ASWSU will hold a candlelight vigil in honor of Hilinski at 7 p.m. Friday at the Cougar Pride statue, outside Martin Stadium.

If you are in need of emotional support, call the 24-hour National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. It is a confidential service to those in distress.

WSU Counseling and Psychological Services can also be reached online at counsel.wsu.edu and over the phone after hours at 509-335-2159.

People with concerns about another’s well-being can contact WSU’s AWARE Network at aware.wsu.edu, which can help students deal with personal tragedies, mental health concerns, drug abuse and more.