ASWSU approves tech fee allocation

The Crimson Group and Ku-Ah-Muh wrap up the semester with end of year events

GABRIELLE BOWMAN, Evergreen news co-editor

ASWSU hosts representatives from the Crimson Group and Ku-Ah-Muh to hear about events this month such as sticker sales, information sessions and the annual Pah-Loots-Puu Powwow. 

The Crimson Group, an advocacy group for undocumented students, has the goal this semester to have outreach for underrepresented communities when it comes to supporting members within their communities that are undocumented, Antonio Fajardo, social chair for the Crimson Group, said.

Crimson Group is having a butterfly sticker sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday in the Compton Union Building Spine, Fajardo said.

“This money will be going towards our emergency funds, which will go directly back to undocumented students,” he said.

Fajardo said, the emergency funds for the Crimson Group help undocumented students if they are not able to do things such as pay rent, afford groceries or anything of the sort.

Ku-Ah-Mah, which means cougar in the Nez Perce language, the Native American Student Organization at WSU, will be having its last information session at 4 p.m. April 10 at the Spark, Aaron Burns, vice chair of Ku-Ah-Mah, said. 

At this event they will be selling t-shirts and will have about 13 vendors, however, the vendor application is still open.

“So if you know anybody that wants to sell anything or promote their own work it would be a great way just to get the experience and exposure,” Burns said.

Burns said, Ku-Ah-Mah will hold their annual Pah-Loots-Puu Powwow from noon to 5 p.m. April 15 in Beasley Coliseum. 

ASWSU’s Tech Fee committee received $800,000 to allocate out to different groups that came to them requesting the money, said ASWSU Vice President Kiana Parsi.

There were some people who did not receive the total amount asked of them such as funding towards wages for committees and members or furniture purchases because Tech Fees are specifically for technology, Parsi said. 

The only item that was electronic that they said no to was an electronic arm from the Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture which cost itself $50,000 and with the needed accessories it would be $70,000, she said.

“It wasn’t very effective to spend money on because it wouldn’t benefit the overall student population,” Parsi said.