WSU Spokane meets budget reduction goals

Campus holds open administrative spots, seeks more revenue

CODY COTTIER, Evergreen reporter

The WSU Spokane campus will cut nearly $266,000 from its budget to meet the university’s 2.5-percent spending reduction requirements mostly by holding open positions.

Terren Roloff, director of communications and public affairs for WSU Spokane, said they are not replacing two vice chancellors, one for research and one for finance and operations, as well as one position each in Information Technology, communications and marketing, and the library. She said this will save more than the necessary amount.

Chancellor Daryll Dewald, who took over from Lisa Brown in September, is in charge of deciding how the campus will meet its spending requirements.

“Our new chancellor is very adept at figuring out budget challenges,” Roloff said.

She said he has worked closely with his cabinet, which consists of several directors, as well as the deans of the campus’ three colleges: pharmacy, nursing and the university’s newest addition, the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine. The deans do not report to Dewald, but to Provost Dan Bernardo.

Dewald was not available for comment, but he addressed a letter to the “campus community” after WSU President Kirk Schulz announced the spending reduction plan.

“It will be a challenge to reduce spending while continuing the excellent work we do on campus,” he wrote. “However, it is a challenge that I believe we are capable of handling quite well.”

Besides keeping positions open, the campus is restructuring several departments to “ensure efficient excellence.” Roloff said they are making changes to Information Technology, as well as their departments of marketing and communication, finance and operation, and advancement.

“What those restructuring efforts will result in I can’t say at this point,” she said, “but we’re working on all those things.”

They also hope to increase revenue by offering new professional certificates and education programs to draw in more students. She said they have not decided on specific additions.

Roloff said it will be important to use space wisely as the campus’ colleges grow. Because of this, administrators are reviewing the campus’ leases to private businesses, as well as other higher education institutions, to ensure they are charging the right amount and that each lessee is a good fit for the campus.

She said they currently lease space to Eastern Washington University. They have not decided on any specific lease changes.

Correction: This article has been revised to reflect that WSU Spokane does not lease space to Community Colleges of Spokane or Whitworth University.