Cougs lose nail-biter in Boulder

WSU leading scorer Borislava Hristova left game in first quarter with an injury

WSU+forward+Borislava+Hristova+yells+to+a+teammate%2C+looking+to+pass+the+ball+Feb.+9+against+OSU+at+Beasley+Coliseum.+

WSU forward Borislava Hristova yells to a teammate, looking to pass the ball Feb. 9 against OSU at Beasley Coliseum.

TYLER SHUEY, Evergreen columnist

In a game that featured plenty of scoring, the Cougars lost 72-69 to the University of Colorado on Sunday after having an opportunity to tie the game in the final seconds.

Senior guard Pinelopi Pavlopoulou missed the potential game tying three-pointer that could have sent the game to overtime.

WSU (10-18, 3-13) came back from seven points down with just over four minutes to play, capped off by a three-pointer from sophomore guard Chanelle Molina with just over a minute to go. Free throws in the final minute by Colorado (14-13, 5-11) ended up sealing the deal for the Buffaloes.

WSU redshirt sophomore forward and the team’s leading scorer Borislava Hristova went out of the game after just seven minutes of action with an apparent injury.

WSU again struggled on the glass, as the Buffaloes converted 18 offensive rebounds into 21 second-chance points, compared to the eight-points the Cougars got on 10 offensive rebounds.

The two leading scorers for the Buffaloes were junior guards Kennedy Leonard and Alexis Robinson, both average double-digits in scoring on the season. Underclassmen also played well for Colorado as freshman forward Annika Jank contributed 12 points, while sophomore guard Quinessa Caylao-Do added 11 points.

Four Cougar players scored in double-figures, led by junior guard Alexys Swedlund with 14 points.

WSU comes home 7 p.m. Friday to play University of California, Berkeley at Beasely Coliseum.