Tennis sweeps matches this weekend to reach 10 wins

WSU sweeped final two matches after narrowly defeating Minnesota on Friday

GEORGE RODRIGUEZ | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Junior Tiffany Mylonas, right, and sophomore Guzal Yusupova, left, play the first doubles match against EWU on Saturday at the Hollingbery Fieldhouse.

TYLER SHUEY, Evergreen columnist

WSU tennis completed a successful weekend by beating University of Minnesota, Seattle University and Eastern Washington University at home.

The Cougars (10-1) first played the Gophers on Friday, edging them 4-3 overall, in what would be their closest match of the three. Sophomore Melisa Ates’ straight-set win over Minnesota freshman River Hart secured the victory for the Cougars. WSU improved to 2-0 all-time against Minnesota and 3-0 this season against Big Ten Conference opponents.

“We knew coming in that Minnesota would be a strong challenge, and they showed that today,” WSU Head Coach Lisa Hart said. “We were able to play very good doubles and then battle back in a few matches to seal a great team win.”

The following day, the Cougs had a much easier time defeating the Redhawks. WSU cruised to a 4-0 sweep, a match so fast that the remaining matches were stopped because the home team had already clinched the victory.

“I am proud of the way our players took care of business this morning,” Hart said. “Our doubles continued to execute well, which we carried over into singles.”

Later in the day, the Cougars would play their final match of the weekend against Eastern Washington, sweeping 7-0. All six WSU players won in straight sets.

Freshman Michaela Bayerlova and junior Aneta Miksovska improved to 10-1 on the season with their win in doubles, while junior Tiffany Mylonas and sophomore Guzal Yusupova remained undefeated at 10-0 with their victory in doubles Saturday.

“Eastern is a much improved team, and it’s always a challenge to play a second match of the day,” Hart said. “I felt like we did a good job getting off to good starts on all the courts, and our players made appropriate adjustments when necessary.”

Mylonas recorded her team-leading 21st win of the season and Bayerlova won her 15th straight match, the third-longest winning streak in school history.

The Cougars will hit the road for their next matches 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Thursday against Idaho State University and Utah State University in Logan, Utah.