ASWSU to hold special election for CAHNRS

Still unclear whether Vet Med students will also get another vote

Bradley Warren, ASWSU Election Board Chair, talks to the ASWSU Senate about elections during an ASWSU senate meeting on Nov. 29.

FORREST HOLT, Evergreen news editor

ASWSU will hold a special election specifically for the College of Agriculture, Human and Natural Resource Sciences students, some of whom were not able to vote for their senator during the regular election earlier this month.

Election Board Chair Bradley Warren said CAHNRS students will have another chance to vote for their senator, likely in late March, so the person they elect can take office in time to vote on committee chairs and Senate pro tempore.

Warren said he did not know if ASWSU would hold a special election for students in the College of Veterinary Medicine, who were unable to vote for Arts and Sciences senators who represent them in the student government’s legislative branch.

While CAHNRS students will be able to vote in the special election, Warren said, the cost of the election will decide whether veterinary medicine students can participate as well. He said the Election Board will either have to pay for the two special elections separately or make one payment to cover both.

ASWSU would not pay to hold the special election for Veterinary Medicine students if the costs were separate because the four Arts and Sciences seats were uncontested and a special election would not change the outcome.

On the other hand, Warren said, the Election Board has to hold another CAHNRS election because two candidates ran for one seat.

“I don’t want to waste student dollars for an uncontested race,” he said. “I just want to make sure the money is being spent right.”

Julianna Brutman, a senior neuroscience major in the College of Veterinary Medicine who could not vote, said all students should be able to vote regardless.

“Every other undergraduate student on this campus has the right to vote,” Brutman said during the election, “and our students should have that right as well.”

While the Arts and Sciences positions would not change without a successful write-in campaign, the CAHNRS Senate race could be closer. Incumbent CAHNRS Senator Lindsay Schilperoort beat junior School of Environment student Alec Solemslie by 56 votes.

Warren said the Election Board investigated the issue, finding that the way the Office of the Registrar categorized students by major prevented some from voting for senators.

“We know how to correct it for next year, we know what the problem is,” he said. “We have done everything within our power to right the wrongs that were made.”

FORREST HOLT, Evergreen news editor
Forrest Holt is a senior journalism and media production major. He is set to graduate in May 2018.
  • ASWSU to hold special election for CAHNRS

Freshmen mentorship program introduced to student government

New website allows students to get involved

WSU health affected by large influx of freshmen

ASWSU senators, executives self-regulate mandatory suicide awareness training

ASWSU Senate confirms director positions

‘Being a female voice in a room is very important’

ASWSU won’t block students on Twitter

Leaders hope to increase stadium access

Leaders to tackle communication issues

Frost named next WSU student regent