Student faces attempted rape, extortion charges

Student allegedly said he would use personal photos against victim

IAN SMAY, Evergreen reporter

WSU Police arrested a student late Sunday for attempted rape and extortion, according to WSU Police and the Whitman County Prosecutor’s Office.

Police arrested 24-year-old Urijah Willis just before midnight on Sunday after a woman, who is also a WSU student, claimed he had threatened to post personal photos of her on the internet, WSU Assistant Police Chief Steve Hansen said.

“There was information posted on social media that if the victim didn’t consent to a sexual relationship that he would post compromising photos of her on the internet,” Hansen said.

The victim brought the threats to the attention of WSU PD. Willis allegedly mostly made the threats over social media, but also showed up in the area of the victim’s residence, Hansen said.

“We had officers that were talking with the victim and saw the suspect’s vehicle that pulled away from the area,” he said, “and then other officers contacted him down at Dissmore’s.”

A judge set Willis’s bail at $100,000 in bonds or $10,000 cash, Whitman County Prosecutor Denis Tracy said. Willis faces charges of second-degree extortion, a felony, and third-degree attempted rape, a gross misdemeanor.

IAN SMAY, Evergreen reporter

Ian Smay is a senior journalism & media production major, with an emphasis in broadcast news, from Dayton, Washington. He is also minoring in criminal...