Prof talks ‘epic fails,’ college success

An author and professor from the University of Mississippi spoke Tuesday in the CUB about his “owner’s manual” for students who want to avoid “epic-fail” blunders in their time at college.

Kenneth Sufka lead WSU faculty and staff through evidence-based strategies from his book, “The A Game: Nine Steps to Better Learning,” which was made available this year to all new students.

“This is the easiest book you will have ever read in college, hands down,” Sufka said. “It’s short, and it’s got really funny stories.”

Each chapter maps out a “game plan” designed to help college students perform efficiently and successfully. Sufka said the most important strategies a freshman should remember are “Go to class always,” “Come to class prepared” and to always “sit in the sweet spot” — front and center in the classroom.

Students frequently make mistakes like pulling all-nighters, using their friend’s notes and even relying on flash cards, Sufka said

“I’m not a big fan of flash cards,” he said. “(They) tend to get students to remember things at a basic, factual level.”

In his time at the University of Mississippi, Sufka said he has seen his share of “ah-ha” moments in which students embrace his learning methods.

“I can actually pull up and show them a previous student’s exam, that pulled an all-nighter, or skipped a lecture, and they get freaked out,” he said. “I just show them examples of when students have epic-fail blunders, and I say ‘Look at that. That could be you.’”

Evidence in Sufka’s book comes from research across the nation that includes a concept-mapping study from one of WSU’s own — Olusola Adesope, an assistant professor of educational psychology.

“Ken picked up on that research, and now I’m here listening to him talk about my work,” Adesope said. “I’m excited about evidence-based research. I think that’s the norm in medical sciences, and I’m happy that we’re picking up on this in education.”

WSU Registrar Julia Pomerenk said she hopes Sufka’s book will help students get off to a good start this school year.

“Faculty have asked for copies of the book for themselves and (their) TAs and said they are going to use it,” Pomerenk said. “We are very interested in helping students succeed, and not making it mysterious.”

“The A Game” is not to be confused with this year’s Common Reading book, “Garbology: Our Dirty Love Affair with Trash,” by Edward Humes.