Cougars sweep Beavers

WSU claimed Winchell Cup for ninth straight year with victory over Oregon State

COURTESY OF WSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

WSU Rowing hosted Oregon State Friday night, competing on a 2,000-meter course.

JACKSON GARDNER, Evergreen reporter

For the ninth consecutive season, No. 15 WSU rowing brought home the Winchell Cup as they swept Oregon State University in all four events at a dual-meet Friday.

The Cougar oarswomen have typically had their way with the Beavers. 15 of the 18 regattas between the two sides have resulted in Winchell Cups for WSU. The Cougars’ first varsity eight similarly has taken 13 out of the 16 Crawford Plates.

Head Coach Jane LaRiviere said she was pleased how her team handled adversity this weekend.

“I was really glad to get out and get a win because we’ve been racing some really fast crews,” LaRiviere said in a WSU news release. “I think it’ll be a good confidence builder as we go into Clemson. I thought we handled the choppy conditions pretty well and earlier in the week I made a few lineup adjustments and I think they handled those pretty well too.”

The Cougar varsity eight saw a little mix-up but still managed to put forth their fastest time of the season at 6:23.4, five seconds ahead of OSU.

Some of the new additions to the first varsity eight included senior coxswain Jenna Mangiagli who was back leading the oarswomen after senior Elle Burg took over her duties last weekend against University of Washington.

Sophomore Kamila Ondrackova moved up from the stroke seat of the second varsity eight to the first, replacing freshman Lisa Gutfleisch who sat in stroke for both the San Diego Crew Classic and at UW.

Junior Jess Brougham and senior Emily Thomson both jumped from the third varsity eight into the first varsity eight and sat in the seven seat and four seat respectively.

Three Cougars from the first varsity eight were a part of LaRiviere’s mixing and matching and sat in new seats. Seniors Kristel Tohu who sat in the five seat and Lucie Weissova who sat in the foyr seat traded spots and sophomore Ivy Elling Quaintance moved from the seven seat to the bow.

Junior Paige Danielson who sat in the three seat and sophomore Rosalina Torcivia who was put in the two seat were the only two Cougars who held on to their spot from last weekend.

With the Cougars first regatta win under their belts, they will return to more competition next Saturday and Sunday at the Clemson Invite. Including WSU, eight ranked teams will compete next weekend in South Carolina.