Safety on the Palouse: a top priority

The blue light towers on campus provide a quick way to alert first responders during emergency situations.

The beginning of the fall semester marks a return to studying, football and friends. It also marks a return to risky situations that perhaps weren’t so prevalent during the break.

The U.S. Department of Justice reports 20 to 25 percent of women will experience a completed or attempted rape during their college careers.

The pervasiveness of alcohol on college campuses is certainly a factor, considering 50 percent of college students’ sexual assaults are associated with alcohol use, according to the New York State Coalition Against Sexual Assault.

WSU and the Pullman community offer a number of resources designed to avoid, prevent or otherwise cope with dangerous or violent situations.

Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse (ATVP) provides a 24-hour hotline for domestic violence and sexual assault victims. The organization also offers counseling for sexual assault victims as well as resources for students in unhealthy relationships.

“We can provide resources for friends to pass on as well,” ATVP assistant director Emilie McLarnan said. “Even though we are confidential, it’s still pretty scary to call a hotline.”

Women’s Transit is a service that provides walking escorts and car rides to students after 8 p.m. daily throughout the semester.

The service is supported by the Women’s Resource Center, but program coordinator Missy Gill said the center advocates for the safety of all students, regardless of gender.

Green Dot, a violence intervention program that began at the University of Kentucky, spread to WSU in 2011.

“Our Green Dot program provides students the tools to do something to prevent violence,” program coordinator Nikki Finnestead said. “We want to create a campus where safety is the norm.”

All incoming students will experience a brief introduction to Green Dot program during Week of Welcome, but more in-depth trainings will be offered throughout the fall semester.

Forty blue-light emergency phones across campus can be used to alert first responders during emergency situations.

As always, the Pullman and WSU police departments can be reached with a 911 call.