‘Warrior for students’ retires after 25 years at WSU

Kathleen Hatch, the former assistant vice president and executive director of University Recreation, accepts a retirement gift at her farewell party at the Student Recreation Center, July 29. Hatch was instrumental in coordinating the building project from 1998 to 2001 and managed its operation until retiring.

After 25 years of service, the woman who spearheaded the construction of the Student Recreation Center has retired from WSU.

Friends, family and coworkers gathered to celebrate Kathleen Hatch’s retirement July 29 at the building she helped to establish nearly a decade and a half ago.

“Today, I believe I have the best job in the world,” Hatch quoted from a speech she wrote six weeks after the SRC opened in 2001. “I’ve seen the absolute joy in the eyes of students as they realize that this space is theirs.”

Hatch began working as the assistant director of intramurals in 1988 after receiving her master’s in education from Oregon State University. She left WSU as the executive director of University Recreation.

“These comments still hold true today,” she continued at the celebration. “Everything I have done for 25 years, good or bad, is made worthwhile each and every day.”

Jeff Elbracht, the director of UREC’s facilities and finances who has worked with Hatch for 17 years, applauded the passion and tenacity she has shown through her work.

“Kathleen has always been able to look at students’ needs and think big on how to make this place better for them,” Elbracht said. “Her vision will be missed.”

Elbracht said Hatch accomplished several amazing things during her career, most notably her role in making the SRC a reality from 1998 to 2001.

Hatch served on the committee behind the project and worked closely with Steve Wymer, the ASWSU president at the time.

“Kathleen fiercely represented what students wanted in this building,” Wymer said. “She helped in every decision about this place with the students to make sure it was exactly what they wanted.”

Wymer said everything Hatch did during her time at WSU was for the students.

“When you think of champions of students you think of somebody like (WSU) President Terrell,” he said. “However, Kathleen Hatch is the greatest warrior for students and for what students stand for. This place would not be here today if it wasn’t for her, and it is a shame some people may never know that.”

As a parting gift, Hatch was presented with a framed, mock-up cover of “Play” magazine, a UREC publication, that features a picture of her. Magazine covers like it are given to all retiring UREC employees – a tradition Hatch started.

Hatch plans to stay in Pullman for a little while longer before she embarks on new adventures, she said.

“I think it is important to close one door in order to enter more,” she said. “And that’s what this is – the closing of a door, a beautiful chapter in my life, to start something new.”